One off builds

enigmatic

Featured Posts

Considering one of these.

Around 20 years old, post-RCD, conventional shape, size design and engine, internal woodwork is excellent and condition is fine apart from a slightly faded paint job and blacking being due. Engine runs fine and bay looks tidy. Spec fine apart from possibly benefiting from adding secondary heat source. On the market for a while at ~20% less than I've seen similarly specced boats at other brokers, so I'd fancy my chances with an offer further below that. (So sorry, no link)

Just wondering if the reason it's has been on the market is that buyers are very wary about one-off builds, and not just half-arsed marketing.

Obviously I'd need a survey, but is there anything else I'm likely to be able to figure out for myself beforehand?

Any experiences, positive or negative, to share?

Edited by enigmatic

There are many one off builds on unknown shells about on the water, so if it's sound and suits you go for it.  A boat from a well regarded builder that hasn't been looked after will probably be worse than a unique build that's been cared for.

There are a lot of boats selling at full asking price to buyers who haven't seen them in the flesh this year, so if it seems not to be selling at a bargain price and it is advertised online there may be something odd going on with it. 

Make sure the boat actually exists and is owned by the seller before parting with any cash.

Obviously without any more detail we can't be more specific in our comments.

• Greenie 1

Your description is enigmatic. Do you mean that this was the only boat built by a particular builder, or that it was the only one of its kind constructed by a builder who also built other boats?

Our first boat was built by Atlas Narrowboats. Only after buying it did we discover that it was one of only two, or possibly three, craft built by that "firm", about whom we could discover nothing. Nothing much went wrong with it over the years during which we owned it.

Most narrow boats are one off builds. Even if the shell builder had a recognised 'product' there will be individual variations in fitout and equipment. And any boat 20 years old will now be a one-off even if built as part of a class of identical boats, due to the various modifications which the individual owners will have done in that time.

2 hours ago, Athy said:

Your description is enigmatic. Do you mean that this was the only boat built by a particular builder, or that it was the only one of its kind constructed by a builder who also built other boats?

Our first boat was built by Atlas Narrowboats. Only after buying it did we discover that it was one of only two, or possibly three, craft built by that "firm", about whom we could discover nothing. Nothing much went wrong with it over the years during which we owned it.

Thanks - I should have clarified that bit. In this case as far as I can see from Canalplan it was the only boat of any sort built by a builder of that name, and can't find any evidence online of a current or historic fitter or steel fabricator of that name either. Your situation sounds  reassuring.

Having seen a couple of boats go almost as soon as I'd spotted a brand new ad, as well as a boat I knew what was wrong with stay on the market for a month and then disappear precisely at the time I got round to deciding I preferred it to other boats regardless, I hope you'll understand why I'm not sharing it yet. :D