Mon and Brec canal

Movin' on

Featured Posts

I'm a very experienced boater but I know nothing of this canal at all ...........

How busy is it 

How hire boat dominated is it

I see "wider" boats on it but according to the CRT dimensions chart they cant cruise all of it - roughly what % can they use

Is it a leisure/holiday canal or a floating housing estate

Is depth an issue

Is it restricted on moorings or can you moor reasonable freely on most of its length

Are there places to avoid - antisocial behaviour etc? 

Is it a hidden gem??

All factual info gratefully received

J

Edited by Halsey

29 minutes ago, Halsey said:

I'm a very experienced boater but I know nothing of this canal at all ...........

How busy is it   ...............   average

How hire boat dominated is it  ...................  about 50%

I see "wider" boats on it but according to the CRT dimensions chart they cant cruise all of it - roughly what % can they use   ..........................  locks will accommodate 9ft width.  (or 9.5ft - can't remember).

Is it a leisure/holiday canal or a floating housing estate  .............................   a few liveaboards but not enough to worry you

Is depth an issue   ...........   yes

Is it restricted on moorings or can you moor reasonable freely on most of its length  ................................   moor almost anywhere on the well maintained towpath

Are there places to avoid - antisocial behaviour etc?    .................................   bikers on the towpath which is used as a level and easily used route in an otherwise hilly country

Is it a hidden gem??   ........................   yes

All factual info gratefully received

J

good luck

Its a few years since we've hire there, but I would say its definitely a hidden gem. Its mostly shallow - recon on an average of 2mph when cruising. Boat length used to be limited by sharp bends on the Heads of the Valley road bridge, but since this had been replaced, that not a problem and the length of the newer hire boats has gradually increased. As the channel is narrow and often twisty, this can make it fun when passing larger craft, especially the wide beams - but its not a canal to rush on. The edge of the canal is sloped making getting to the bank to moor difficult, but a series of mooring places - sometimes for only two boats, but in remote locations - have been installed as well as mooring in the more popular spots.  Much of the canal is within the Brecon Beacons National Park, so this limits development and keeps it rural. It only really gets built up if you go past Pontymoile onto the old Monmouthshire Canal. This last stretch was very slow 0.5 - 1 mph, Although I do believe some dredging has taken place since we were last there.

When we went we hired from Cambrian Cruisers and I can recommend them. An unexpected advantage was that most other hire bases are further down the canal and most hirers head for Brecon.  Starting near Brecon means you are 'out of phase' with most other hirers. We met quite a few Red Line Boats who were complaining of being stuck behind the wide beams from Beacon Park Boats. Although that was when they were based at Llanfoist. I suspect its less of a problem now they have moved to Llangattock.

If you are thinking about visiting and want a rural slow paced holiday ,I would recommend it. If you are thinking of moving your own boat there, check draft and headroom carefully - despite having slightly wider locks, its not a big canal.

9 minutes ago, RS2021 said:

Its a few years since we've hire there, but I would say its definitely a hidden gem. Its mostly shallow - recon on an average of 2mph when cruising. Boat length used to be limited by sharp bends on the Heads of the Valley road bridge, but since this had been replaced, that not a problem and the length of the newer hire boats has gradually increased. As the channel is narrow and often twisty, this can make it fun when passing larger craft, especially the wide beams - but its not a canal to rush on. The edge of the canal is sloped making getting to the bank to moor difficult, but a series of mooring places - sometimes for only two boats, but in remote locations - have been installed as well as mooring in the more popular spots.  Much of the canal is within the Brecon Beacons National Park, so this limits development and keeps it rural. It only really gets built up if you go past Pontymoile onto the old Monmouthshire Canal. This last stretch was very slow 0.5 - 1 mph, Although I do believe some dredging has taken place since we were last there.

When we went we hired from Cambrian Cruisers and I can recommend them. An unexpected advantage was that most other hire bases are further down the canal and most hirers head for Brecon.  Starting near Brecon means you are 'out of phase' with most other hirers. We met quite a few Red Line Boats who were complaining of being stuck behind the wide beams from Beacon Park Boats. Although that was when they were based at Llanfoist. I suspect its less of a problem now they have moved to Llangattock.

If you are thinking about visiting and want a rural slow paced holiday ,I would recommend it. If you are thinking of moving your own boat there, check draft and headroom carefully - despite having slightly wider locks, its not a big canal.

Thanks

Only thinking of visiting...............

Is doing all of it (at a sensible pace say 5hr days?) in a week do-able??

Edited by Halsey

5 minutes ago, Halsey said:

Is doing all of it (at a sensible pace say 5hr days?) in a week do-able??

Yes, you can do it all in a week. Round trip approx 70miles, so at 2mph (there are some rebuilt concrete sections where you can go a little faster) 35h plus 2 x 6 locks. But, its a canal which does 'slow you down' more than most. If you like walking, its very easy to stop and get off the boat. We've been five times and only done the full length once. A lot of hirers only do between Goytre and Brecon. For most of the canal the character is of being tree lined (plenty of views between the trees) and clinging to the mountainside with the river far below. Past Goytre the valley widens and the character changes. Still very nice, and usually quieter.

• Greenie 1

Almost anywhere. Talybont-on-usk has a couple of pubs to visit after your walk. Very small place so quickly out of the village into the countryside. As well as the canal, you can walk up to the reservoir. Llangattock is close to Crickhowell, but still rural. Llanfoist will give you a sense of wooded sections clinging to the hill side. But it will be a very steep walk from the road to canal. Goytre Wharf has great interest of the original industrial purpose of the canal, but is beautifully rural. You could always pop in a couple of hire bases and check out possible boats.