From Holland to Black Sea

Dundustin

Featured Posts

Hi Dunny

My only personal experience of going to the Black Sea is from a couple of motorbike trips I've done! However there are some huge barges on the Danube. I think the only limiting dimension is air draught if you choose a longer route through France. Try the Barge Association for advice, they even have a forum section on a Black Sea trip:

http://www.barges.org/main.php?section=1832

Noah

Hi Dunny

My only personal experience of going to the Black Sea is from a couple of motorbike trips I've done! However there are some huge barges on the Danube. I think the only limiting dimension is air draught if you choose a longer route through France. Try the Barge Association for advice, they even have a forum section on a Black Sea trip:

http://www.barges.org/main.php?section=1832

Noah

Yes, they'll be the best bet for that sort of advice. Sounds like a fantastic trip.

Your basic route would be up the Rhine, then the Main, then through the Rhine-Main-Danube Canal and down the Danube. This can take boats considerably bigger than a luxemotor so you wouldn't have any problems. If you wish to divert off this route you will encounter smaller navigations but small is relative, you won't find significant routes anything like as small as the Grand Union Canal for example.

If you're feeling really adventurous you could try coming back via the Don, the Volga Don Canal and then various waterways to Moscow and St Petersburg. No small locks that way either.

Your basic route would be up the Rhine, then the Main, then through the Rhine-Main-Danube Canal and down the Danube. This can take boats considerably bigger than a luxemotor so you wouldn't have any problems. If you wish to divert off this route you will encounter smaller navigations but small is relative, you won't find significant routes anything like as small as the Grand Union Canal for example.

If you're feeling really adventurous you could try coming back via the Don, the Volga Don Canal and then various waterways to Moscow and St Petersburg. No small locks that way either.

thanx Magpie

what about bridges....would i be ok?