Honda EU22i - earth to hull and bond the neutral and earth?

Thomas C King

Featured Posts

I can't seem to find definitive information on this one. So I just wanted to confirm that I understand this correctly.

We have bought a Honda EU22i generator (I believe you can answer this as if it were the EU20i or the EU10i). We will use it to power our 230v system going through an RCD in our consumer unit. The generator has a screw to attach a grounding wire. Am I correct in thinking that to provide an alternative path of low resistance that isn't a person, in the case of a ground fault, I simply need to:

1) Make sure that the earth and neutral of the generator are bonded (e.g., in the plug), if they are not already (I have to test this), and

2) Ground the generator to the hull

Thanks if you can help with this, I know it's come up many times before, but I still get confused reading the responses.

Edited by Thomas C King

I have only ever done 1) with both an EU20i, and my current EU10i

I have a special lead for the genny to shore power input where the earth and neutral in the plug are connected.

I'm pretty sure that this is what is advised in the EU10i manual.

685749580_EU10iServiceBook3.jpg.7927b6746c793d6d1d9d0b839e9853bf.jpg

1 hour ago, Thomas C King said:

I can't seem to find definitive information on this one. So I just wanted to confirm that I understand this correctly.

We have bought a Honda EU22i generator (I believe you can answer this as if it were the EU20i or the EU10i). We will use it to power our 230v system going through an RCD in our consumer unit. The generator has a screw to attach a grounding wire. Am I correct in thinking that to provide an alternative path of low resistance that isn't a person, in the case of a ground fault, I simply need to:

1) Make sure that the earth and neutral of the generator are bonded (e.g., in the plug), if they are not already (I have to test this), and

2) Ground the generator to the hull

Thanks if you can help with this, I know it's come up many times before, but I still get confused reading the responses.

1) Yes you should join the N and E wires either within the generator, or in the cable plug at generator end. Be aware that when you do that, you can't use the same cable to connect to a shore bollard otherwise you will trip the shore bollard RCD. In other words, have a dedicated cable even if is only a very short bit that you can add to the end of the normal shore power cable.

2) This should already be in place. The generator has an earth connection, the 3 core cable takes this into your boat and within your boat the earth line should be connected to hull.