Wigan - Liverpool

CanalWalker

Featured Posts

Hello, I am new to this board. I was just wondering what people's opinion was of the Leeds Liverpool canal between Wigan and Liverpool. Its my local strech of canal and I think it is under used. Does it have a bad reputation, or is it the lack of a ring or place to visit at the end that puts people off?

I suspect that it's the lack of a ring coupled with the reputation of the final stretch into Liverpool that puts people off. But, in my experience the Wigan flight is also underused as a route to the Yorkshire Dales which have some of the most beautiful canalscapes in the country. I think people are put off by having to go through Blackburn and Burnley to reach the summit. Personally, I would say GO, GO and GO again if you are within reach!

Hopefully if/when Liverpool adds its exension to the canal linking it to the docks, there will be a reason to go down to the end of the Leeds-Liverpool.

It could become a ring if it was organised but it would involve a river crossing a take quite a while to complete.

Secure mooring in a Liverpool dock would be a good idea. No boats go further than Melling these days.

The stretch Wigan to Halsall is very nice, Parbold in particular is very pretty.

i think people are just scared of the big locks!

In the process of doing a guide to this end of the canal:

http://www.redstarline.org.uk/canal.html

I don't think people are actually scared of the double locks it's the handcuff keys that are a pain in the neck and you are right many areas of the canal have beautiful scenery especially once you get through Wigan towards Appley Bridge.

Edited by Bernie

Guest st170dw
I don't think people are actually scared of the double locks it's the handcuff keys that are a pain in the neck and you are right many areas of the canal have beautiful scenery especially once you get through Wigan towards Appley Bridge.

:) I don't suppose wyndy is scared of handcuff keys - unless they are lost! :D

I was driving around the Liverpool end of the canal today, taking photos. i was about to park up and take a photo of a warehouse next to a bridge when someone threw a brick at a taxi, smashing its windscreen. So I thought better of it and drove away.

I did find two canal bridges which no longer have a canal underneath them, one has a back garden behind it.

I still recommend the Liverpool end but I wouldnt go further than Aintree race course! And definately not while the schools are off. or in the afternoon.

The canal looked clear though.

• 1 month later...
I was driving around the Liverpool end of the canal today, taking photos. i was about to park up and take a photo of a warehouse next to a bridge when someone threw a brick at a taxi, smashing its windscreen. So I thought better of it and drove away.

I did find two canal bridges which no longer have a canal underneath them, one has a back garden behind it.

I still recommend the Liverpool end but I wouldnt go further than Aintree race course! And definately not while the schools are off. or in the afternoon.

The canal looked clear though.

if you want to know of future plans for leeds & liverpool stretch aintree canal turn to docks see

www.merseyside canal partnership

www.the merseyside canal corridor study

www.sefton gov.uk--- look for tourism documents on this site

south sefton corridor study

sefton corridor study

atlantic gatewaysia

northwest devolopment agency

millions upon millions of pounds, private enterprise money, european grants,goverment local and national money is pouring into liverpool and the canal is getting its share,believe it,check out the sites above.better still get your mooring ropes untied and get down and have a look and while you are here sort out where you want to be moored during the capital of culture celabrations.the new link will be built and i for one hope to be moored in the albert dock or close.dont leave it to late to visit people you could miss out big time.and it is not just the canal ,get into the town centre and check out whats happening.you will go home happy you came and want to come back. :D liverpool loves you:wub:you :D:D:D

those plans seem to be on hold, I havent seen any news about those plans recently, not since the 4th Grace was abandoned. Princes Dock is being done up, and looks very nice.

all the plans for the link are well passed the money is all there work i am sure has commenced.you can get a big photo copy of the plans3ftx3ft showing the full route of the link.a lot of the work is going on putting lock infrastructure behind the redeveloped warehouse.set of the plans four quid from council bargain it shows all buiild specs on work from heritage stanley dock to albert dock.if you go out of the city centre miles of towpaths have been tidied and landscaped. the sefton section of the canal has seen numurous canalside demolition and development,the planners there are insisting canalside properties fit in with the canal.front of properties have to face the canal and be part of scene.old council maissonette property adjacent to the banks is being replaced by houses.derelict factories have been flattenned and land is available for development, include the canal in your planned scheme and it will almost certainly fly through. them sites on other post will show you in detail whats coming for the canal,stanley dock to the far side of southport sefton boundary.i think on your site you had a picture corolina street wharf it was with bw yard. might be off the train you as pass new strand, you will be suprised what plans & proposal there is for that area.as a matter of fact the local press reports parents up in arms,schools are being closed and guess what the schools being closed surround the carolina st wharf site.the plans have even got little canal boats moored up to what is now a school playgroud later lad

all the plans for the link are well passed the money is all there work i am sure has commenced.you can get a big photo copy of the plans3ftx3ft showing the full route of the link.a lot of the work is going on putting lock  infrastructure behind the redeveloped warehouse.set of the plans four quid from council bargain it shows all buiild specs on work from heritage stanley dock to albert dock.if you go out of the city centre miles of towpaths have been tidied and landscaped. the sefton section of the canal has seen numurous canalside demolition  and development,the planners there are insisting canalside properties fit in with the canal.front of properties have to face the canal and be part of scene.old council maissonette property adjacent to the banks is being replaced by houses.derelict factories have been flattenned and land is available for development, include the canal in your planned scheme and it will almost certainly fly through. them sites on other post will show you in detail whats coming for the canal,stanley dock to the far side of southport sefton boundary.i think on your site you had a picture corolina street wharf it was with bw yard. might be off the train you as pass new strand, you will be suprised what plans & proposal there is for that area.as a matter of fact the local press reports parents up in arms,schools are being closed and guess what the schools being closed surround the carolina st wharf site.the plans have even got little canal boats moored up to what is now a school playgroud  later lad

read the daily post today and guess what it is full of news about cruise ships at the peir head,tall ships,river mersey festival and various other projects that will add to the total transformation of the city and beyond.the sefton coastline(5-10 mins from the cut) complete with marine lake surrounded by acres of grass at crosby and a brand spanking new up to date swimming and leisure centre is ready now and money,money and more money has just been awarded to upgrade and improve the coast line as far as southport. reports in earier post declaring plans on hold are way off the mark.everything is going well and all promised developments will be in place on time and ready for the visitors in capital of culture year.so much is going on and at such a pace there are problems for traffic in the city centre i will admit that,but the city is being rebuilt and it is to be expected.i have said it before and i will keep saying it get yourself down to liverpool and have a look.the canal end is a five minute walk from the city centre,i walk the stretch once weekly at least,i have not been mugged, threatened,offered drugs,stoned, spat at or been intimidated by gangs of kids so i think i can say it is safe to come here.

• 4 weeks later...

about 20 pics in gallery. docks to aintree.locks at stanley dock being refurbished.

painting.towpaths tidied and lock gates fixed ,boats due through for river voyage to river festival.updated photo,s in events forum also.i may be in albert dock today and ask for veiws of boat crews who have sailed from wigan way to liverpool

gaggle