Fittings for a stainless steel water tank

jeb

Featured Posts

Hi

I am about to fit and plumb in a stainless water tank . I have been informed not to use any brass connectors as they will react to the stainless steel,is this correct and if so what type do I require. I need to come off 90 degrees from the breather with some form of 15mm hose connector and a ball or gate valve for the outlet. The filler is no problem as it will be plastic pipe.

Thanks ;)

Plastic hep20 (or simular) pipe is proberbly what i would use.

- You are correct that a reation between brass and s.steel can occur, leading to an affect know as dezincification, i bealve.

- Our kitchen sink is stainless, and after 8 years the brass bolt holding the trap on had completly lost all structual strenght!

Daniel

Plastic hep20 (or simular) pipe is proberbly what i would use.

- You are correct that a reation between brass and s.steel can occur, leading to an affect know as dezincification, i bealve.

- Our kitchen sink is stainless, and after 8 years the brass bolt holding the trap on had completly lost all structual strenght!

Daniel

Hi Daniel

I have just been looking at the site John posted and they also stock hep20 parts which they say are not suitable for stainless. The problem I see is there has to be a point where you have to change from stainless . It cant be that difficult as there are 100s if not 1000s of stainless water tanks out there.Come on guys what are you using ? Thanks for your post John.

Hi Daniel

I have just been looking at the site John posted and they also stock hep20 parts which they say are not suitable for stainless. The problem I see is there has to be a point where you have to change from stainless . It cant be that difficult as there are 100s if not 1000s of stainless water tanks out there.Come on guys what are you using ? Thanks for your post John.

TBH I never thought about a reaction. I just used a brass gate valve on our stainess tank. Concerned now........ ;)

Concerned !!! But didnt you live in a water tank ?

Indeed 'twas "Castle Saburac." None of that electrickery or earth bondage nonsense in there.

Edited by Guest

they also stock hep20 parts which they say are not suitable for stainless

I think the reference to SS in Hep2o is for the pipe as the bite rings can't grip SS pipe in the same way as copper. The BSP ends of Hep2o fittings are standard brass anyway.

You could use bronze marine fittings, but expensive.

Or just use normal brass fittings. The SS won't be affected and if you have to replace the brass tank fitting every 10 or 15 years it's not the ewnd of the world - corrosion in other areas will be much more of a problem!

I think the reference to SS in Hep2o is for the pipe as the bite rings can't grip SS pipe in the same way as copper. The BSP ends of Hep2o fittings are standard brass anyway.

You could use bronze marine fittings, but expensive.

Or just use normal brass fittings. The SS won't be affected and if you have to replace the brass tank fitting every 10 or 15 years it's not the ewnd of the world - corrosion in other areas will be much more of a problem!

Hi Dor

Thanks for your reply. I must crack on with the job so will use brass for the time being as that is what I have. Should anyone come up with anything, it will be no problem to change over at a later date. Thanks