Cable glands - for 2 cables with fittings

SusieC

Featured Posts

Can someone advise on options for cable gland to be mounted on slightly sloping steel hull side (by windscreen of wheelhouse), for a poynting WiFi antenna that has the fittings attached, 2 cables 5mm, fitting already attached is 12mm. Can I put both cables into one split side gland or do I need 2, have seen several brands, any problems with any of them?

34 minutes ago, SusieC said:

Can someone advise on options for cable gland to be mounted on slightly sloping steel hull side (by windscreen of wheelhouse), for a poynting WiFi antenna that has the fittings attached, 2 cables 5mm, fitting already attached is 12mm. Can I put both cables into one split side gland or do I need 2, have seen several brands, any problems with any of them?

There are a number of 'Deck Glands' that will do what you want and give you a watertight seal with 'any' number of cables. They are designed for offshore use and are 100% watertight.

Here is an example of a 4-way (others available, just search for 'deck glands')

https://www.force4.co.uk/index-marine-dr1-deck-gland.html

https://www.force4.co.uk/scanstrut-cable-seal-multi-aluminium.html

And a picture of a 2- cable type in use for my Solar panel wiring (I bought several off ebay, I think at about £7 each)

CAM00023.jpg

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Thanks Alan, I had been searching Force4, but didn’t see a 2 cable one, do you know what brand and yours is, is it a split seal so I can get the fittings through too?

Edited by SusieC

14 minutes ago, SusieC said:

Thanks Alan, I had been searching Force4, but didn’t see a 2 cable one, do you know what brand and yours is, is it a split seal so I can get the fittings through too?

Yes it is split - the one on the other side of the boat had the Radar cable (about 10mm diameter) and a 'huge' connector so I could only do it with a split insert.

Looking at the Force 4 website I think they are Vtronix brand.

Its a year or two ago since I bought them but have a look on ebay, I seem to remember that I bought mine from someone who was fitting out a bot and had them left over (saving about £10 each against Chandlery prices)

https://www.force4.co.uk/vtronix-deck-gland-for-rg58-cable.html

Scanstrut is another brand.

You simply cut thru the insert and then you tighten it up it squashes together.

Buy one without holes and then drill your two holes and slit across the insert.

Similar to this 1-cable type (look at the bottom insert)

s-l1600.jpg

s-l500.jpg

Edited by Alan de Enfield