Rates of charging

blackrose

Featured Posts

I've got a 30amp charger to charge 405a/h domestic bank while on shore power. I'm thinking of buying a the same brand of 40amp charger to run off my generator when I'm cruising. Without going into whether the generator can run the chargers ('cos I know it can!), would the combined 70amps which achieves 17.28% (of 405a/h) be a good figure to charge at or is it too high? Would I be better off buying another 30 amp charger so that the combined 60amp charging achieves a more reasonable 14.8%? The difference between the two setups is 2.47% and £40.

Edited to say: If I ever decided to add more batteries to the domestic bank the bigger charger might be a better option...

Edited by blackrose

I've got a 30amp charger to charge 405a/h domestic bank while on shore power. I'm thinking of buying a the same brand of 40amp charger to run off my generator when I'm cruising. Without going into whether the generator can run the chargers ('cos I know it can!), would the combined 70amps which achieves 17.28% (of 405a/h) be a good figure to charge at or is it too high? Would I be better off buying another 30 amp charger so that the combined 60amp charging achieves a more reasonable 14.8%? The difference between the two setups is 2.47% and £40.

Edited to say: If I ever decided to add more batteries to the domestic bank the bigger charger might be a better option...

Mike

Go for the bigger option. You will only get the high current for a short period when the batteries are really down (and then they need a high charge). For most of the time it will be a much lower current anyway. And, as you say, if you add another battery to the bank..............

Chris

Mike

Go for the bigger option. You will only get the high current for a short period when the batteries are really down (and then they need a high charge). For most of the time it will be a much lower current anyway. And, as you say, if you add another battery to the bank..............

Chris

Thanks - I take it that a 50 amp charger would be too much? That's 19.75% when combined with my existing 30amp charger (40amp is 17.28% when combined.) The 50amp costs £69 more than the 40amp.

Edited by blackrose

You'll hear some people say things like "10% of the battery capacity" or some other (random) number pulled out of their underpants.

Here's the full story......

http://www.smartgauge.co.uk/chargesize.html

Gibbo