Corgi lpg gas installer in London?

beatnik

Featured Posts

I believe - and don't quote me - that any 'competent person' is allowed to do that work as long as you don't 'employ' him.

from the calormarine website:

Do I need a CORGI registered installer to fit my cooker?

Gas installations on private vessels are not covered by current statuary Instructions. You must take "responsible care" of the health and safety of yourself and others who may be affected by your work under the Heath and Safety at Work Act 1974.

Your work must be completed in accordance with national standards (BS5482 pt3 and ISO 10239) and their references. If you do the installation yourself, get it checked by a CORGI engineer who will issue a gas safety certificate. Your insurance company may insist upon it.

A list of suitable installers can be found by clicking here.

Vessels used for commercial gain come under different rules set out by the MCGA and must use a CORGI engineer.

(note that the statement about getting it checked by a CORGI engineer is a recommendation, not a requirement)

Edited by chris polley

Hi

I'm struggling to find someone to connect my cooker and hob to the, in place and secured, gas run.

Everyone from the Calor site are either too far away or else will only do bigger jobs for the council.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Tryi David Bitmead- Corgi registered and a boater. 07973 561284

Regards

BEngo

Tryi David Bitmead- Corgi registered and a boater. 07973 561284

Regards

BEngo

Thanks, I'll give him a try.

I had just got a response from someone (non boater), but it seemed rather expensive. £200 and he said it was a 2 hour job. Was that person taking the mick or is it really a bigger job than I thought? (Jointless run secured in place straight to the cooker from the cylinders, got all the parts, domestic appliances, bubble tester).

Thanks, I'll give him a try.

I had just got a response from someone (non boater), but it seemed rather expensive. £200 and he said it was a 2 hour job. Was that person taking the mick or is it really a bigger job than I thought? (Jointless run secured in place straight to the cooker from the cylinders, got all the parts, domestic appliances, bubble tester).

I'm a CORGI bod with the appropriate ACS to carry out gas installations on boats too. I'd be VERY suspicious of a quote as low as £200. I typically spend a most of a day doing the work you describe, for which I charge a load more than £200.

I also suggest you check that this bloke really IS qualified to fit LPG on boats, as there is a LOT of working 'out of scope' going on (CORGI bods doing gas work they are not actually qualified for, like fitting LPG in boats). All CORGI bods are NOT the same. We have to pay handsomely for, and pass separate exams for every category of work we wish to carry out, and LPG in boats is one such category.

We all carry CORGI photo ID cards to prove out ID and to prove what we are qualified to fit. On the back of the card is a list of all the categories of installation the cardholder is qualified to carry out. My card has a category entitled "Boats/Appliances", with a tick against it in the "LPG" column. Interestingly, there is no tick in the "NG" column which tells me I am not qualified to fit natural gas (NG) appliances in boats. Hmmmm....!

Cheers, Mike

Edited by mike bryant

from the calormarine website:

Do I need a CORGI registered installer to fit my cooker?

Gas installations on private vessels are not covered by current statuary Instructions. You must take "responsible care" of the health and safety of yourself and others who may be affected by your work under the Heath and Safety at Work Act 1974.

Sad to say, but this in certain circumstances is plain wrong.

The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 (The current statutory instructions - I think they mean 'instument') certainly DO cover private vessels when they are used as houseboats or dwellings. This means that if you live aboard and wish to employ someone to do gas work, they MUST be CORGI registered AND have the appropriate ACS exam pass to do LPG installations on boats.

Cheers, Mike

Edited by mike bryant