keeping fish as bait

Featured Posts

hi just got my fishing licence and not been fishing in about 10 yrs since i was a kid anyhow i wont to no is it illegal to keep fish such as Perch Roach in a good sized tank to keep for pike fishing any info would be great thanks

If you are talking about live bait, surely that has been illegal for many decades and rightly so. I am amazed anyone would even suggest such a thing.

hi just got my fishing licence and not been fishing in about 10 yrs since i was a kid anyhow i wont to no is it illegal to keep fish such as Perch Roach in a good sized tank to keep for pike fishing any info would be great thanks

Hi and welcome

You may get an answer here but I would have thought an angling forum would be a better chance.

If you are talking about live bait, surely that has been illegal for many decades and rightly so. I am amazed anyone would even suggest such a thing.

i have been reading on baits for different types of fish and for a pike live fish was a option i was just checking tbh i would also live a perch as a pet fish somethink different than ya house hold goldfish lol

surely that has been illegal for many decades and rightly so

No John, live baiting is still a perfectly legal fishing tactic in England and Wales, although it was banned in Scotland earlier this year. Mainly used for pike fishing on our inland waters, but you'd be surprised at how many of our native fish are predators.

However, all live baits must be caught and used on the waters you are fishing. Carrying them from one water to another is strictly prohibited to prevent the transfer of disease, and there are strict penalties for anyone contravening the rules.

I'm an angler, but I can't bring myself to use live bait, apart from maggots or worms. And as for keeping a magnificent, feisty little fish like a perch in a tank - well, I just couldn't. For their size, they are the biggest and best fish in our waters, also possibly the most beautiful, and deserve to be treated with some respect. To land a big perch, with its red fins, proud dorsal fin and beautiful striped body is a real result.

Superfly500, I suggest you try deadbaits instead of trying to keep wild and free fish cooped up in a tank. You'll find it difficult to replicate the conditions they need for survival and if you're any sort of an angler, you'd care more for the fish than your personal needs.

Janet

As above. But, many angling clubs have banned the use of live fish baits on their waters.

Check first, the one thing that will really hack off a bailiff of such a water is to see your pike float bobbing about frantically.

Modern lures are brilliant for pike, much more fun and wayyyyy less cruel. B)

• 1 month later...

you cad sir to think you would do such a thing since u have left the fishing circle pike have now been taught to not eat live fish and will only take makeral smelt and of coarse boilies even a pike would sneer to think u would suggest such a thing . yea should be ok mate go for it

It's not ok to go for it - not without consideration

If the water authority or environment agency catch you removing live fish from one water system and then introducing them to another one they'll do more than raise their eyebrows - it's a question of spreading disease you see

And don't let the anti angling brigade catch you at it either!!!

sorry someones lost the plot here whos taking fish from one water and planting them in another . so right you go on a boating holiday / live on the water catch fish put them in your bucket travel a few miles to a stretch of water ? cause you arnt near one r you then fish ?? ok calm down

sorry someones lost the plot here whos taking fish from one water and planting them in another . so right you go on a boating holiday / live on the water catch fish put them in your bucket travel a few miles to a stretch of water ? cause you arnt near one r you then fish ?? ok calm down

Eyup Colin

No-one's lost the plot here

This

hi just got my fishing licence and not been fishing in about 10 yrs since i was a kid anyhow i wont to no is it illegal to keep fish such as Perch Roach in a good sized tank to keep for pike fishing
was the original question. There is no indication of intention to do one thing or another specifically - just the intent to keep fish in a tank for pike fishing

My reply points out that IF the original poster WAS intending to remove fish from one water system to use in another then he would be laying himself open to criticism from those responsible for the water system

The second half of my reply points out that in this day and age anyone livebaiting is likely to be criticised, especially by the anti-angling brigade

The first line of my reply said this

It's not ok to go for it - not without consideration
which means if you do go for it you need to think about what you are doing

So you see there was no need to tell me to calm down - I wasn't cross

i know baz just trying to liven it up a bit mate colini like the one last night where some poor chap just lost his life in a boat fire and someone had the sence to tell us that he ws probably a drunk anyway cause they usually r ???? nice comment hope his family dont see it

so i would say that maybe we dont really mind if this gentleman uses fish or not or you could i suppose go to the fishmongers and buy a makerel or sprat (that died by drowning ie lack of water ,as they dont donk em on the head when they net em ) i dont really think thats a good idea neither i just dont know the answer im afraid