Help requested from Broads boaters.

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

Boat :

Length = 36 feet

Beam = 14 feet

Air draft = 10' 6" (with everything folded down)

Draft = 4' 6" (with full tanks)

Having read thru' all of the 'Height limiting bridges', 'beam restriction bye-laws' etc and looked at the maps I'm lost.

Not knowing the area / rivers / 'Bridge names' the names don't mean a great deal.

Foe example : It would appear I can navigate the Wensum, but can I get from Yarmouth (Bredon Bridge 13 foot) up the Yare and onto the Wensum to Norwich ?

can I get into Norwich ?

Where is foundry bridge (10 foot) on the Wensum ?

Is there a simple 'where I can go' map ?

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Hi Alan,

The problem will be Foundry Bridge in Norwich.  All the others are high enough and Trowse Rail Bridge swings.  Foundry Bridge is near the Railway Station and before the Yacht station, whch is in effect the only mooring site in central Norwich.  Broads Authority quote 10 ft headroom.

Try these links

http://www.thegreenbook.org.uk/

https://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/boating/navigating-the-broads/bridge-heights-and-opening-times

• Greenie 1

17 minutes ago, Grebe said:

Me again.  we left the Broads 3 years ago.  Grebe was only 5ft 7ins air draft so no issues for us.

Many thanks - I have been trying to call the Norwich Yacht Station (but no answer) as the Height on the Foundry bridge is quotes as 10' at HW, so if the tidal range is (say) a couple of feet should be able to slide under.

We always worked on the basis of 1 ft rise/fall at Norwich (based on guide books and observation).  Atmospheric pressure in the North sea also has influence.  Low pressure allows the sea to rise and the broads also come up.

Tides are not equal rise and fall, just like the lower Trent.  We reckoned HW Norwich to be HW Gorleston (Yarmouth Bar)+ 4.30,  LW Norwich to be  HW Gorleston +11.30.

Note  that some tide tables use Yarmouth Yacht Station as the standard 'port' which is about an hour later than the Gorleston time.  We always used the Gorleston (Yarmoth Bar) times as they were in almanacs/sea going tables.

5 minutes ago, Grebe said:

We always worked on the basis of 1 ft rise/fall at Norwich (based on guide books and observation).  Atmospheric pressure in the North sea also has influence.  Low pressure allows the sea to rise and the broads also come up.

Tides are not equal rise and fall, just like the lower Trent.  We reckoned HW Norwich to be HW Gorleston (Yarmouth Bar)+ 4.30,  LW Norwich to be  HW Gorleston +11.30.

Note  that some tide tables use Yarmouth Yacht Station as the standard 'port' which is about an hour later than the Gorleston time.  We always used the Gorleston (Yarmoth Bar) times as they were in almanacs/sea going tables.

Thanks again.

There was one bridge that we had to drop our canopies for on the way into Norwich. So I would say you might struggle. 

We did see boats moored on the way into Norwich other than at the yacht station but to be quite Frank we wouldn't leave ours there!

6 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

There was one bridge that we had to drop our canopies for on the way into Norwich. So I would say you might struggle. 

We did see boats moored on the way into Norwich other than at the yacht station but to be quite Frank we wouldn't leave ours there!

I'm (we) are beginning to think that the Broads may be too restrictive, so 'back to sea' is looking as the most likely option.

We are on the waiting list at Whitby and Lowestoft and waiting for call backs from Bangor (Anglesey) and Torpoint (Devon)

10 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I'm (we) are beginning to think that the Broads may be too restrictive, so 'back to sea' is looking as the most likely option.

We are on the waiting list at Whitby and Lowestoft and waiting for call backs from Bangor (Anglesey) and Torpoint (Devon)

I wouldn't take yours to the Broads!