Installing chimneys etc

Strads

Featured Posts

Hi Jill

if you and your boat are around bradford-on-avon, then my son Iolo has a gas cutter at Ben's yard by the lock and Ben has a plasma cutter, I'm sure either of them would cut 'ole for you.

Interested: Carl how do you get 11' flue poking out of a boat?

When i lived in Italy the standard thing to do with with flues on woodburners there was to run them across the room and exit the other side, thus getting more heat from it as the smoke cooled. Does this horizontal run count towards flue length or is flue height the critical thing?

Chris

Interested: Carl how do you get 11' flue poking out of a boat?

When i lived in Italy the standard thing to do with with flues on woodburners there was to run them across the room and exit the other side, thus getting more heat from it as the smoke cooled. Does this horizontal run count towards flue length or is flue height the critical thing?

Chris

Internal tube is about 5' from smoke box to collar (in top plank of a tarped workboat) and the chimney was about 6' outside (though I put a shorter one that was a tighter fit (about 4') on in high winds.

Hi Jill

if you and your boat are around bradford-on-avon, then my son Iolo has a gas cutter at Ben's yard by the lock and Ben has a plasma cutter, I'm sure either of them would cut 'ole for you.

Hello Chris,

Thanks for the information - I've already asked Ben to look at the diesel tank fabrication job, but he's very, very busy at the moment. Is it Iolo building the Northwich shell at the Wharf? I had a look yesterday with Ben and she looked fantastic, loved the shape of the rear swims in particular and the bow looks very fine .......

Chris

In principle, the use of this waste heat is a good thing but the efficiency of the flue is significantly reduced by up to 50% (I think) for each spigot put in. AGA Rayburn do not recommend a spigot angle of any greater than 45 deg and any horizontal length is not counted into the flue calculation for compliance with HETAS regulations for installation as I understand it. Therefore a flue with bends in it would need to be even longer to satisfy regulations. Any length of flue that runs close to the lining would also need to be heat protected so you could end up with a boat lined with fireboard and protective stainless sheet. Hmm, nice!

Edited by wrigglefingers

Hello Chris,

Thanks for the information - I've already asked Ben to look at the diesel tank fabrication job, but he's very, very busy at the moment. Is it Iolo building the Northwich shell at the Wharf? I had a look yesterday with Ben and she looked fantastic, loved the shape of the rear swims in particular and the bow looks very fine .......

In principle, the use of this waste heat is a good thing but the efficiency of the flue is significantly reduced by up to 50% (I think) for each spigot put in. AGA Rayburn do not recommend a spigot angle of any greater than 45 deg and any horizontal length is not counted into the flue calculation for compliance with HETAS regulations for installation as I understand it. Therefore a flue with bends in it would need to be even longer to satisfy regulations. Any length of flue that runs close to the lining would also need to be heat protected so you could end up with a boat lined with fireboard and protective stainless sheet. Hmm, nice!

Ummh - been some interesting feedback and related comments to my original question -

weve taken the plunge and ordered a Hertitage UNO cooker/heater and it will be installed in the centre of the boat line giving the chimney a striaght exit..

so it also gets a 1 metre plus flue plus the outside additional height ( have a couple of variations i guess) ( and in recent weeks seen a few boats with long chmneys and what looks like drain pipe extentions to those!!!)

also working on the position of the multi fuels stove and planning to mainly use for wood.. and that will need to have 2 45deg angle to clear the side and get vertical line through the roof...

will provide updates as we make progress.. probbaly over the xmas holidays etc!

Hello Chris,

Ummh - been some interesting feedback and related comments to my original question -

weve taken the plunge and ordered a Hertitage UNO cooker/heater and it will be installed in the centre of the boat line giving the chimney a striaght exit..

so it also gets a 1 metre plus flue plus the outside additional height ( have a couple of variations i guess) ( and in recent weeks seen a few boats with long chmneys and what looks like drain pipe extentions to those!!!)

also working on the position of the multi fuels stove and planning to mainly use for wood.. and that will need to have 2 45deg angle to clear the side and get vertical line through the roof...

will provide updates as we make progress.. probbaly over the xmas holidays etc!

Hello Chris,

Hi Jill

Doesn't she just look gorgeous! I am such a proud dad! you should ask Iolo if he'll do your tank, I'm sure he can do straight things too. And he wants it called a Small Bradford rather than a Northwich. We need to find a suitable star name for her now. I'm off there today with a list of classical star names to try and find the one that suits.

I did hear a while ago that it wasn't possible to use oil-fired Rayburns on boats because they used a levelled tray under the burner pot. Presumably now they're pressurised jets - is that right? I have a coal-fired Rayburn in my boat that this time of year hasn't gone out in 3 weeks so i think you should persist. They make the most wonderful biscuits.

Chris

Any idea of flue size and length?

Might help Jill to give some idea of what may not work OK for her.

cheers,

Pete.

Hi, Pete, Jill. Flue diameter was 5''. As for the height (outside the boat), we started with a standard 12'', and ended up with a custom-made 2m stainless steel thing before giving up. It kind of worked, provided we burned half a tree per day in it ...

On the new system, I've put the burner up to the wall (Rayburn was central) & now have two 45 deg. angles on the flue pipe. As well as giving a lot more space, this does radiate excess heat into the room quite nicely (but no surprises where fire-cement tends to crack due to thermal expansion).

About the failsafe on a flue fan - is there any way the fan could be powered from the heat of the stove - an ecofan-type arrangement ?

B.B.