Finding a Mooring in Cambridge / Ely and surrounds

Silkhay

Featured Posts

I suspect that this question may have been asked before but I can't find it despite lots of searching.

I am probably going to have to move to North West Suffolk / South West Norfolk / Cambridgeshire in the coming months and it will be a long trip to the boat on the Gloucester Sharpness.

Any advice on finding a mooring closer to home would be very much appreciated; I know the waterways around there don't belong to BW so I'm not sure where to start looking.

I'm not looking for a liveaboard, just a very frequent all year round visitor

Thanks in anticipation

Martin

I suspect that this question may have been asked before but I can't find it despite lots of searching.

I am probably going to have to move to North West Suffolk / South West Norfolk / Cambridgeshire in the coming months and it will be a long trip to the boat on the Gloucester Sharpness.

Any advice on finding a mooring closer to home would be very much appreciated; I know the waterways around there don't belong to BW so I'm not sure where to start looking.

I'm not looking for a liveaboard, just a very frequent all year round visitor

Thanks in anticipation

Martin

BW have a large marina at bedford. Thats not too far

Cambridge and Ely would be pretty much out of the question. Cambridge is full, and the marina at Ely does not (yet) take narrowboats - assuming that is what you have.

There are marinas at Hermitage, Hartford, and Bedford (Priory Marina) who I am sure have vacancies for non-residential moorings. I think there may be space too at Isleham marina

Gladwish land sales (google them, I can't be bothered, sorry) have land on the banks of the old Nene, at Upwell for sale. This is just behind the back of beyond, though, last time I was there I met a bald kid, on a gate, playing a banjo.

Have a look at the Camb Boaters newsgroup on Yahoo - I'm sure lots of advice is available there. Gordon in Ely (moored in Cathedral Marina, Ely - have you tried them?)

Isleham Marina do have moorings available and is very convenient for West Suffolk (I'm near Bury St Edmunds). They only have them without 240v though.

Cheers

Paul