Perkins D3 - Engine Oil

Liam

Featured Posts

Hi folks,

Hoping someone out there can recommend what type of Lub. oil to use in a Perkins D3.152.

Also, what kind of Lub. oil do you lot recommend for a Newage gearbox? I'm not sure of the model, though :D

Cheers :D

Liam,

I got off my butt and went and retrieved my proper gearbox book, which is more up to date than the old Newage info that I gave last night.

I have a PRM 150 Gearbox which I think is made by Newage and the book says 15W40 which is freely available engine oil.

Depending on which gearbox size you have, the capacity is 800ml to 1.5 litres.

Best Regards

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Liam,

I have a D3.152 fitted in my boat. I purhased a manual from Calcutt Boats cost about £ 18.00 but the data sheet was missing for the lubricating fluids etc but I eventually got this page so the oil required is HD diesel oil 15 W 40 or 20 W 50.

For the gear box i am sure the manual for my Newage PRM states using Gastrol GTX i will check at the weekend and confirm.

Cheers,

Steve.

Liam,

I have a D3.152 fitted in my boat. I purhased a manual from Calcutt Boats cost about £ 18.00 but the data sheet was missing for the lubricating fluids etc but I eventually got this page so the oil required is HD diesel oil 15 W 40 or 20 W 50.

For the gear box i am sure the manual for my Newage PRM states using Gastrol GTX i will check at the weekend and confirm.

Cheers,

Steve.

Hi Buggsy..

I have since talked to a friend who I found out had a D3 in his boat too, and he advised strongly about not using multi grade oil. He recommended straight 30's.. he also suggested that I should use 15W 40W in the gearbox.

I'm not saying your wrong, I appreciate the info greatly.. Could you possibly shed some more light on this subject please, regarding the use of straight and multi grade lub. oil? :)

Thank you kindly :)

Most diesel engine manufacturers specified non multigrade oils for their engines and some still do. I have a BMW and the book recommends SAE 30 oil.

There may have been good reasons for not using multigrade oils but I doubt if they are valid these days, I use 20/30 diesel multigrade.

I don't know how many other engines are like this, mine is continuously rated with the stated oil capacity 10 litres but with a low level on the dipstick at 5 litres. As a canal boat engine does not work very hard, I simply fill up to just above the 'low' level on the stick.

Edited by John Orentas

When multi-grade came out there was a lot of problems with old engines that had run on thicker oils for many years.

Shell brought out a 10/40 and this was put into the engines of all the cars that were serviced at the garage i was apprentice at , there were quite a lot that knocked the big ends out within a few weeks. it was only used in new cars after that.