Cat Flaps

Smelly

Featured Posts

My cat's escaped again! This is the second boat he's lived on, the first being a sinking behemoth with a 75Hp tug engine that equated to Krakatoa when she started. He didn't mind that however now, with my little Isuzu 35 he hates it.

I'm swift deciding he's not a boating cat, all the advice on Mike and Wendy's site has been of little use as he's very willfull and very strong. (Not that i don't recommend their advice as it's worked a treat with his mum who's nerves are much better)

We just replaced the last cat flap that took him about 18 months to fight his way through. The new one, with a fancy lock, lasted about 10 seconds, and now we're stuck in the middle of nowhere until he decides he's hungry enough to return (with his mum!). Last time took a week, but fortunately was close enough to work that I didn't care. This time it's 5 quid a day on the train and it's too far past pay day to plan for that kinda thing.

I need a high security cat flap, or a new home for him... or maybe a sedative dart gun!

Anyone any ideas on manufacturers, or alternatively a model number of quite sturdy cat flaps, preferably steel or adamantium!

Ta

:)

Our flap...doesn't anymore because the cat beat the hell out of it (into the invading cats face I might add) but it has a sliding cover that you slot in when you want it locked. I don't see that a cat could get through it without punching a hole clean through it. I think its the cheapest one in argos. Unfortunately the flap will fall off.

Could you just put a normal door over the flap? Or a bit of ply wood. I'd like to see it burrow through 3/4inch ply...or better still STEEL!

We had one of those flaps with the slidy plastic bit down the front.

He battered it that hard that the bottom of the frame broke away, hence it didn't latch into anything, then figured out how to pull the flap out of the top of it's frame. Hence our last week on 48 hour moorings.

We bought the techno one from Argos, and that's the one he's just dismantled.

It's probably fair to add that for human hamds the flap's in quite an inaccessible place, so Heath Robbo's a bit difficult, although we are considering plywood.

I'd rather like one that he isn't going to destroy though, one that I can rely on when we go for our big cruise at the end of teh month, hence the steel suggestion.

Chris P, sometimes you just want to keep 'em in!

oh...your cats clearly cleverer (and more persistant) than mine! Could you put a removable bar over the outside of the door? Although that's not much use if he manages to batter the door to pieces! You could do what some one at my marina did with his cat flap....accidentally mount a mast in the way...oops!

Don't know of any metal flaps though, I'd probably have bought one if I did. Having said that the attacking cat might be a little worse off if it gets smacked in the face by one of those.

Edited by Chris Lingwood

Hello,

Crikey - they sound like some madcap moggies!

Whenever we go off the mooring now, we put the daft cat in a harness (with no lead attached) and bring him up on the roof with us so he can see whats going on - he soon chills out and begins to enjoy the ride.

The last time he took a swim was when we locked the catflap and then started the engine and moved off. He decided he didn't like the noises and vibrations very much so he tried to make a swift exit via the locked catflap. It didn't open, so he took a bigger run-up and burst through it like a catty BA Baracus - he then made a flying leap over the side onto the garden which by this time was 150 yards behind us. We reckon that this is probably the best flying squirrel impression we've ever seen from an animal that isn't actually a flying squirrel. To our relief, he swum like a hairy duncan goodhew.

Hopefully, he'll soon begin to associate the harness with going boating....hopefully.

Nic

We have thought harness thoughts, however the problem is when we moor up. We're moored on a very exposed city centre mooring that they don't like, amd when, as often we go somewhere green than it's dig for freedom time, and a lead then would be -at least to my mind- a bit cruel.

oh...your cats clearly cleverer (and more persistant) than mine! Could you put a removable bar over the outside of the door? Although that's not much use if he manages to batter the door to pieces! You could do what some one at my marina did with his cat flap....accidentally mount a mast in the way...oops!

Don't know of any metal flaps though, I'd probably have bought one if I did. Having said that the attacking cat might be a little worse off if it gets smacked in the face by one of those.

We had a cat flap when we had Theakston, a neutered moggy with attitude. He never managed to escape via the cat flap but would sleep on a stool next to the flap in case of invaders. He hated the engine running (hiding under the bed) but at least learnt after his third accidental dip that swimming wasn't a good idea. ;)

Our current cat likes boating, is not fazed by the engine, enjoys looking out the window and treats mooring up for the night with a nice towpath hedge like cat TV. Unlike our last cat however we can't let him out (long fine hair prone to very bad matting) and he's outgrown his harness. At home we've had to make the mooring cat escape proof but he's very inventive, so much so we really should have called him Houdini. I hate keeping him confined when we go boating but can't think of what else to do apart from get a bigger harness and lead. Oh, I forgot, he's rather too good at falling in, 8.5 times so far and I neally got into serious trouble rescuing him one winter and nearly couldn't get out myself :lol: (we now have a large fisherman's landing with a 9 m telescopic handle.)

Guess some cats make better boat cats than others. :lol:

Debbi

We had a cat flap when we had Theakston, a neutered moggy with attitude. He never managed to escape via the cat flap but would sleep on a stool next to the flap in case of invaders. He hated the engine running (hiding under the bed) but at least learnt after his third accidental dip that swimming wasn't a good idea. ;)

Our current cat likes boating, is not fazed by the engine, enjoys looking out the window and treats mooring up for the night with a nice towpath hedge like cat TV. Unlike our last cat however we can't let him out (long fine hair prone to very bad matting) and he's outgrown his harness. At home we've had to make the mooring cat escape proof but he's very inventive, so much so we really should have called him Houdini. I hate keeping him confined when we go boating but can't think of what else to do apart from get a bigger harness and lead. Oh, I forgot, he's rather too good at falling in, 8.5 times so far and I neally got into serious trouble rescuing him one winter and nearly couldn't get out myself :lol: (we now have a large fisherman's landing with a 9 m telescopic handle.)

Guess some cats make better boat cats than others. :lol:

Debbi

Since the little one came along, our cat has been banished to the butty. It has been a real challenge keeping her out when it is cold or raining or she's got something to show us!.

She doesn't mind the engine, she does mind the boat moving and will do her best to get out and off.

Normally she is quite content to snooze during the day and night being fairly old, but this spring when we CC'd down to london she went walkabout, was arrested for her suspicious behaviour, and taken to Paddington Green police station!

Simon.

I have a friend who is very security conscious and has his house fitted with all the latest gadgetry including multi camera CCTV system.

When I asked had it ever recorded anything (it's motion sensitive) he looked a bit sheepish and then said "Yes, the neighbours' cats come in through our cat-flap in the small hours, eat our cat's food, and then let themselves out!"

The bloke who owned theold tub before me used to be moored at a residential base at Hoo on the Isle of Grain. There were a few cats about on the pontoons in them days and he not being particular cat lover used to sprinkle his decks with various concoctions to keep em off as he had found to his cost little presents left in the coils of rope occaisionly. (Normally found them when reaching for the rope coming into a mooring at queenbourgh)

Imagine his surprise when one morning he was woken from his usual snoring slumber by one of the feline residents leaping off the pontoon straight through the port quarter porthole, directly onto his chest. :lol:

Changed his base shortly after that

Mav, I could do with knowing more about your ex's sturdy flaps, don't suppose you're still in contact? :lol:

I am but doubt if her new fella wud want a stray Tom hanging around. She had the sweetest little pussy it has ever been my pleasure to know. The flaps worked without effort perhaps those having difficulty with theirs need to try more lubrication.

Been 4yrs so it will be an old smelly cat by now though.

• 2 months later...