Craftinsure.com

Ernie

Featured Posts

It’s insurance renewal time again. Having had a look around the web and the mags, CraftInsure.com comes out on top for my personal circumstances. £50 lower than my current policy.

Most insurance companies appear good when applying for the policy but the big question is – how good are they when you have to make a claim – not that I am expecting to have to make one of course!!

My question is, has anyone got any experience of having to make a claim through CraftInsure?

not personally, but there is a guy on the Norman forum who's N27 was pranged by a hit and run microplus(?). seemed that CI paid out without quibble. I use CI, and they've always been easy to contact. But i've never had to claim.

If you are going to use craftinsure, how about visiting the NBAS website, and using their link to get to CIs site, i believe Norman owners get a small commission for each sale, and it won't cost you any more.

I have no link with either craft insure or the Norman boats appreciation society. (other than a poster on the latter, and a customer of the former)

Thanks fuzzyduck.

All of my insurance quotes are now in and CraftInsure.com is looking very attractive on the cost front but I am still nervous that it is too good to be true and that there is some hidden catch that I haven't found yet ??

I would feel much more comfortable if someone with first hand experience with them would recommend them (or not).

Thanks fuzzyduck.

All of my insurance quotes are now in and CraftInsure.com is looking very attractive on the cost front but I am still nervous that it is too good to be true and that there is some hidden catch that I haven't found yet ??

I would feel much more comfortable if someone with first hand experience with them would recommend them (or not).

Dont do it Ernie.

Met a bloke in the pub today and i asked him.Er mate have you ever heard of a company called craftinsre?Na i aint.He said.

Dodgy eh.

We too use Craftinsure but have never claimed.

But (without wanting to tempt fate here...) am I unusual in having boat insurance (like car insurance) more because I HAVE to (for licence, mooring etc) than because I think I might actually need to claim on it? My general view is by and large that insurance is an enormous scam; the only sort the insurance companies want to sell you is the sort you'll never claim on (e.g. extended warranties) or the sort that's so hedged about with conditions you can't claim even if you thought you could (e.g. unemployment). So the only insurance policies I have are the ones that I'm obliged to by law or commercial or other conditions - and I resent that. (I particularly resent that the law requires me to put money into the coffers of private profit-making organisations if I want to drive a car. If the state demands it, the state should provide it!). So I always buy the cheapest I can get away with and face the fact that if something dreadful happens I may have to stand on my own two feet ...

Now a thunderbolt will strike my house, car and boats simultaneously ...

am I unusual in having boat insurance (like car insurance) more because I HAVE to (for licence, mooring etc) than because I think I might actually need to claim on it?

Yes I think you are - what if your actions were to maim or kill someone. I think you'd be very pleased of the liability cover, and legal assistance to help fight the criminal charge.

Yes I think you are - what if your actions were to maim or kill someone. I think you'd be very pleased of the liability cover, and legal assistance to help fight the criminal charge.

Most people aren't worrying about their third party cover though, but about their own boat. It's presumably because of the third party cover that insurance is a requirement, but can you get third party only for boats (like you can, and I have, for cars)? I've never seen it.

And what criminal charge? What are you suggesting I'm going to do? :banghead: Gross negligence at the very least it would surely have to be to result in a criminal charge .... Anyway, having seen at first hand the way lawyers operate I long ago decided that I'd defend myself if such a thing ever did happen.

Most people aren't worrying about their third party cover though, but about their own boat. It's presumably because of the third party cover that insurance is a requirement, but can you get third party only for boats (like you can, and I have, for cars)? I've never seen it.

Don't know about that, but since my insurance is so inexpensive I wouldn't contemplate the difference.

And what criminal charge? What are you suggesting I'm going to do? :banghead: Gross negligence at the very least it would surely have to be to result in a criminal charge .... Anyway, having seen at first hand the way lawyers operate I long ago decided that I'd defend myself if such a thing ever did happen.

It was gross negligence I was referring to, and as we see on the roads, there are some very unfortunate (innocent even) situations that can lead to such charge.

BTW I agree totally with your comments on extended warranty, central heating insurance, 'what if' insurance et al - in most industries there's a product for the suckers, and most folks would end up with double cover in many situations in any case.

True, and boat insurance is so relatively cheap I suspect there are very few claims. So the original poster is probably lucky to get a response from one person who's made a claim with Craftinsure, and it was positive, so I guess that's the answer. Nice easy to navigate website they have too, seems very efficient.

Edited by WarriorWoman

It's presumably because of the third party cover that insurance is a requirement, but can you get third party only for boats (like you can, and I have, for cars)? I've never seen it.

Basic Boat Liability Company, http://www.basic-boat.com/ . Website doesn't tell you much though.

I have always taken the view that 'If you can stand the loss don't insure it'. I insure my house, my car, my boat and that is it. I always opt too for the highest excess on the policy. I have never for example insured my central heating system which has barely cost me a penny over the years. I calculated once that I could have bought four brand new boilers with the money I have saved.

I looked into a redundancy policy once, I found it was so riddled with get-out clauses and other small print it wasn't worth having, even at best it only paid I think 6 weeks pay. With the latest legislation most employed persons will get 3 months when everything is added up.

Edited by John Orentas

True, and boat insurance is so relatively cheap I suspect there are very few claims. So the original poster is probably lucky to get a response from one person who's made a claim with Craftinsure, and it was positive, so I guess that's the answer. Nice easy to navigate website they have too, seems very efficient.

Hi there

Thank you for the testimonial.

Craftinsure's policies are underwritten by Navigators & General (part of Zurich Group and what used to be Eagle Star).

Craftinsure are an internet business and their policies are all issued via the website at www.craftinsure.com where you can check the comprehensive cover before you buy, by clicking on a yellow icon marked "sample policy".

We recently paid a £90,000 claim within 18 days of the loss which demonstrates that the internet and email hugely accelerates claims handling as well as assisting with delivery of documents and cover when simply purchasing insurance cover online.

Kind regards

Mark Lee - MD Craftinsure Ltd

Edited by Craftinsure

Well CRAFTINSURE whoever you are.

So nice to have company representatives doing a sales pitch on the forum.

I for one will remember who NOT to get an insurance quote off next time.

I think that was a fair post, he has put his name at the bottom and the first post has 'craftinsure.com' in it, so no sales pitch there. I see the post as defending there position on payouts. :banghead:

I think that was a fair post, he has put his name at the bottom and the first post has 'craftinsure.com' in it, so no sales pitch there. I see the post as defending there position on payouts. :banghead:

Hi Nigel.

If you look again you will see that the chap edited his post at 2.05 One and a half after his original post, it was merely a copy of another post that happened to have some good words to say of his company.

Anyway that's bye the way, in my view public forums of this kind are not the place pedal your wares whether it be insurance policies or dodgy electronic black boxes.

so, he messed up his post, and took 30 minutes to correct it, i have to say here John "big deal"

He posted a response to a question about his company, "well done" I say

I disagree with you about this being no place to peddle his wares, as you yourself pointed out this is a public forum. I'f he'd just popped up and typed "use craftinsure it's brilliant" then i'd maybe agree with you, but i feel we can actually benefit from this.

We haven't slagged off Phil Speight for talking about paint. or Gary for talking about Building boats.

for a forum like this to include interaction between suppliers and customers is actually a way it could progress, mind you the suppliers might have to recognise they'd get a hard time from time to time.

Bring em on, i wanna know from Mr Vetus why the vent i bought recently is a bit slanty.

I agree with fuzzyduck, provided the company make it plain who they are. The input could be useful. I thought that was reasoable comment from craftinsure.

Hi,

I too agree with the guys above and just wonder why John seems to be at the centre of most the threads on here that go off hand. How many more contributor like Eugene Baston and Mark Lee are going to think "Why should I be bothered", they do not have to provide the forum with information that may allow members to make a decision. I look to this forum for has much boat information I can get from all parties, then I will decided what to do.

The tone of some replies do sometime detracted from what is a very good enjoyable forum.

Hi,

I too agree with the guys above and just wonder why John seems to be at the centre of most the threads on here that go off hand. How many more contributor like Eugene Baston and Mark Lee are going to think "Why should I be bothered", they do not have to provide the forum with information that may allow members to make a decision. I look to this forum for has much boat information I can get from all parties, then I will decided what to do.

The tone of some replies do sometime detracted from what is a very good enjoyable forum.

For me and I hope most of the other members, I would not like to see this forum descend into a free advertising vehicle for every sales rep. who is looking for customers for his products be they good or bad. I get enough junk mail pushed through my letter box and more than enough rubbish sent to my Email address. If I want to buy some insurance I will go out and buy it. This latest example however did not at least have a tame satisfied customer planted amongst us as happened previously.

Even more important I would not like to see it become the mouthpiece for any Customer Relations Manager of a monopoly organisation who sees the the forum as a means to put over his employers greed inspired interests. I don't care either if it is couched in soft very reasonable tones, he didn't get that job because he's inarticulate, then to weep crocodile tears when someone dares to question his totally biased view.

Edited by John Orentas

For me and I hope most of the other members, I would not like to see this forum descend into a free advertising vehicle for every sales rep. who is looking for customers for his products be they good or bad. I get enough junk mail pushed through my letter box and more than enough rubbish sent to my Email address. If I want to buy some insurance I will go out and buy it. This latest example however did not at least have a tame satisfied customer planted amongst us as happened previously.

Even more important I would not like to see it become the mouthpiece for any Customer Relations Manager of a monopoly organisation who sees the the forum as a means to put over his employers greed inspired interests. I don't care either if it is couched in soft very reasonable tones, he didn't get that job because is inarticulate, then to weep crocodile tears when someone dares to question his totally biased view.

Wibble :banghead: