converting a tv to 12v

Top cat

Featured Posts

I am wondering if it,'s possible or advisable to convert or sony flat screen tv to 12v?

I hear that they use 12v internally has anyone tried it? Are there any pitfalls to be aware of

I presume I am going to need a stabilised 12 supply and the 12.4 to 14.4 variation in the domestic supply will be too much

Thanks top cat

Some say you don't need a stabilser, but I got one for a reasonable price off Ebay so it seemed daft to risk it. It just plugs into the telly where the 240V adapter used to plug in. Most of these newer flat tellys appear to be 12V dc, though it is vital to check, and that the pin configuration is correct (centre pin positive on mine.) It generally states this next to input socket on the telly.

I have run a digi box for years off the boat 12Vdc direct with no stabiliser (similar to the TV's it came with a 240/12v adapter.) Then again it only cost a tenner.

Edited by Guest

I just picked a tv (for the kids cabin) that had a little external transformer pack, first making sure that the transformer had a 12vdc output, cut the transformer off and put a 12v plug on the end. Bingo. Works well without any other modification. Hope this helps.

Hi, unless the TV has a external 240v ac to12v dc transformer/power pack you will not be able to run a modern flat screen TV from a 12v supply.

Tv's have a 'switched mode power supply' arrangement (not a straight forward old type transformer) which produces various voltages of typically 5v, 12v and 30v. etc

There are plenty of smaller flats screens that use an external power pack , but as mentioned before, make sure its 12v dc.

I have run such a TV off a 12volt battery very successfully.

Steve

I never bothered, I got a 12 volt (in line transformer) for peanuts thought try it and 3 years later it works fine even when the battery's read 14 or 10 Volts it still works., but it's only 17 inch (I think) and draws 20 of 25 Watts, get a cheapy and give it a go.