• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 ruston pride

ruston pride

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 07:52 PM

Just wondering if many of you have these in your boats. Are they still cantankerous when well maintained? Mine is feeling grumpy at the moment and is in need of a bit of love, but still puts a smile on my face when she does decide to start

#2 Laurence Hogg

Laurence Hogg

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,583 posts
  • Boat Name:Barnet GUCCCo No 109 / TUCANA GUCCCo No 92

Posted 01 September 2012 - 09:03 PM

What type is yours?

Dealing with facts not fiction, tradition isnt purchased its learned.

#3 Iain_S

Iain_S

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts
  • Boat Name:Gamebird : 1/10 Copperkins II

Posted 01 September 2012 - 09:24 PM

:smiley_offtopic:

Not really relevant, but the ex FRS Explorer has two Ruston VPH6s as main generators (one of which is currently in bits, getting de-seized :( ) and a VRH4 as a harbour generator. The running VPH6 and the VRH4 both start easily, with no sign of grumpiness :cheers:

Iain

"We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation"  : Voltaire

#4 Laurence Hogg

Laurence Hogg

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,583 posts
  • Boat Name:Barnet GUCCCo No 109 / TUCANA GUCCCo No 92

Posted 01 September 2012 - 10:01 PM

:smiley_offtopic:

Not really relevant, but the ex FRS Explorer has two Ruston VPH6s as main generators (one of which is currently in bits, getting de-seized :( ) and a VRH4 as a harbour generator. The running VPH6 and the VRH4 both start easily, with no sign of grumpiness :cheers:

Iain

Wow Iain thats a nice boat, I have sold models of that type of vessel for years but never seen a real one in the flesh. I have a model floating on my garden pond which is shown on this listing of mine: http://www.ebay.co.u...=item2311bae8ba

Dealing with facts not fiction, tradition isnt purchased its learned.

#5 madcat

madcat

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,697 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 04:56 PM

I wondered about Rustons,how easy are the spares to find? Not planning to do away with the Lister just curious,its a cat thing
there is no light at the end of the tunnel

#6 Tony Reeves

Tony Reeves

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Boat Name:NB Tonal

Posted 02 September 2012 - 06:41 PM

I wondered about Rustons,how easy are the spares to find? Not planning to do away with the Lister just curious,its a cat thing

Not too hard! My wife works for a company that sources, refurbishes - and engineers new where required - parts for Ruston Hornsby engines amongst others.

#7 ruston pride

ruston pride

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 08:38 PM

:) Iain, you say not really relevant, but your link was a lovely distraction, thank you. Much beefier engine power there than here, bet it sounds good. I probably have a 2VTH, with variuos bits and pieces which seem to have been robbed from a variety of other rustons starting with Vs. Its making getting my head around getting parts interesting! But I wouldn't want a turn a key and the engine starts boring new engine hidden in a box

Tony, would you be able to give me details of your wife's company? They sound usefull!

#8 casper ghost

casper ghost

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,049 posts
  • Boat Name:Casper

Posted 03 September 2012 - 09:17 PM

I probably have a 2VTH, with variuos bits and pieces which seem to have been robbed from a variety of other rustons starting with Vs.

I have a 2VTH in my boat. It starts fine and runs well. They're not the most powerful unit but i'm rarely in a hurry.
Casp'

Get an after-life.

#9 Tony Reeves

Tony Reeves

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Boat Name:NB Tonal

Posted 05 September 2012 - 08:58 PM

:) Iain, you say not really relevant, but your link was a lovely distraction, thank you. Much beefier engine power there than here, bet it sounds good. I probably have a 2VTH, with variuos bits and pieces which seem to have been robbed from a variety of other rustons starting with Vs. Its making getting my head around getting parts interesting! But I wouldn't want a turn a key and the engine starts boring new engine hidden in a box

Tony, would you be able to give me details of your wife's company? They sound usefull!

PM sent.

#10 Mike the Boilerman

Mike the Boilerman

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,276 posts
  • Boat Name:Aldebaran, Reginald

Posted 05 September 2012 - 09:33 PM

I have a weather eye out for a 2VSH, in case anyone has a spare one lying about unused.....

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.

Bertrand Russell

btn_donate_LG.gif to CanalWorld running costs. (I put the link here, not CWF.)

#11 Timleech

Timleech

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,478 posts
  • Boat Name:Barnabas Hedley

Posted 05 September 2012 - 09:52 PM

I have a weather eye out for a 2VSH, in case anyone has a spare one lying about unused.....

Unused? That's quite unlikely to find, I think ;)

I know where there's a 3YD, not in use. May be too modern for you!

Tim

#12 casper ghost

casper ghost

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,049 posts
  • Boat Name:Casper

Posted 05 September 2012 - 10:03 PM

I saw one sell on ebay last year for 1600, it even had a prm260 mated to it and the engine had been fully reconditioned... If I hadn't just bought my Dorman i'd have bought it...
Casp'

Get an after-life.

#13 ruston pride

ruston pride

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 02:30 PM

Thanks Tony :)

Casp, I now have hope that once mine has had a damn good service and fiddle with, mine will start fine too. Will be good not to need 3 hands from time to time as grumpy days come. At least my manual has arrived :)

#14 AMModels

AMModels

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 06:56 PM

We used to have a 3vsh in one of our boats, I didnt know its details at the time just that it was a Ruston Hornsby and came from a crane, someone somewhere put up a link to a video of someone starting a 3 vsh and I realised it was what we had. Ours was painted a lovely shade of electric blue and sounded amazing none the less for it, paired with a borg warner gearbox she blew through the white metal liner at the bottom of a piston one spring morning 25 years ago and back then spares werent as easy to come by so she went and in her place came a lister.... hadnt got the heart of the RH tho.

Thanks to whoever posted the vid.

:cheers:

#15 JudeB

JudeB

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Boat Name:Pyrus

Posted 06 November 2012 - 06:21 PM

Not too hard! My wife works for a company that sources, refurbishes - and engineers new where required - parts for Ruston Hornsby engines amongst others.

We have a Ruston Hornsby (or should it be Greaves?) 2YWM in our boat. It runs and sounds beautiful, really throbby! My hubby intends to carry out most of the maintenance - servicing etc and could really do with a spares/workshop manual. Do you know if there is such a thing and how difficult it would be to find one? Also very good news to hear that it's not too difficult to get hold of parts.

#16 Mike the Boilerman

Mike the Boilerman

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,276 posts
  • Boat Name:Aldebaran, Reginald

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:13 PM

There is a crankshaft for a 2VSO/VSH on ebay at the moment....

Hens' teeth must be relatively common in comparison....

Link

MtB

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.

Bertrand Russell

btn_donate_LG.gif to CanalWorld running costs. (I put the link here, not CWF.)

#17 rockingpete

rockingpete

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:30 PM

Had a look on Ebay the other day, under marine engines, & was amazed at the ammount

of engine manuels for sale, some quite old. Deffo worth a look.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users