Lister Marine Gearbox Type SL4

RLWP

Featured Posts

Rather than the bevel gears of a Parsons or the layshafts of the PRM, the Lister box uses a sun and planet arrangement to create reverse:

reversecluster3.jpg

In the centre is the gear on the end of the output shaft. Missing is the gear on the end of the crankshaft, this stays on the engine with the oil seal.

Outside of the input and output gears are two pairs of gears carried on shafts in a casting:

reversecluster1.jpg

The long gear engages with the output gear and the idler gear. The idler engages with the input gear:

reversecluster2.jpg

With any gear train, an odd number of wheels means the input and output go the same way around, an even number means they go in opposite directions. We have input - long gear - idler - output. That's four wheels, which is an even number, it's a reversing gearbox!

Edited by RLWP

To get forward, this box locks the input and output shafts together with a cone clutch:

forwardclutch1.jpg

As it is a proper marine box, it uses springs to hold the forward clutch in engagement:

forwardsprings.jpg

If the lever breaks, the band brake packs up, the change mechanism falls apart, the gear clusters explodes, this gearbox gets you home (in forward - don't hit the quay).

The box gets reverse by locking the casting to the casing with a band brake:

bandbrake1.jpg

As it arrived, it had been unsuccessfully modified, omitting the spirng to pull the bandbrake off:

odbandbrake.jpg

Unfortunately, this meant a new bandbrake and a handful of other parts. The bandbrake anchors to the casing with a hefty pin:

bandbrake2.jpg

and operates on the outside of the gear cluster casting:

bandbrakeanddrum.jpg

Richard

If you ever need a clutch relining for this gearbox, contact these guys, http://www.industrialbrakes.co.uk

I had one done by them a while back and had a pattern made for it to fit, they still have the pattern, and a reline would be around £40.00 - £45.00, cheaper than a new one - If you could get one !#

:cheers:

Excellent article Richard - - - -

(I'm not surprised the unit didn't work when it arrived - I've not come across a bandbrake spirng in many years)

:rolleyes:

Ah well...

There's more to come on the change mechanism when I get around to it

Richard

Here we have the forward springs installed:

forwardsprings2.jpg

Compressing these springs is a bit of a fiddle involving tightening up the nut on the output shaft, putting in the gear change shaft, then taking the nut off, fitting the key and tightening it up again.

I had a momentary lapse of reason when assembling this:

Ooops.jpg

:blush:

Richard

Edited by RLWP

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

OK just had a bit of a clunk moment..

I have a little boat with an SL4 gearbox and the reverse clutch has just parted company.... from itself

Is it a huge job to take it out and replace the broken bit..

Not too bad. You can take the reverse band out without having to remove the main shaft

Richard

Rlwp,

Thanks for that. I took top top cover off to have a look at the clearances on the levers.. and the lining band was already self removed... as in it was round the back of the main cone.

I am assuming this is a gearbox out job... Or can it be done by removing the reduction box and getting at things from the back?