Lift or Draw Bridge

Bones

Featured Posts

No, a drawbridge is just one type of lift bridge

http://www.movablebridges.org.uk/Glossary.asp

In fairness, according to that site, a draw bridge is a type of lift bridge, but there are other types as well. Who's site is it? I didn't think it was that well written I'm afraid, it was a little unclear which is counter productive for a glossary.

Edited to add, I would say the majority of canal lift bridges are bascule bridges, a pedant could argue they are bascule drawbridges :lol: However the southern oxford ones are probably draw bridges

Edited by magpie patrick

So would we say the canal has lift bridges or draw bridges?

I think you would say the canal has 'movable bridges'. That would just about cover all the types of lift, swing, retractable and rolling bridges found on canals.

I was just interested because I have always know the southern Oxford to have lift bridges, and then BW called on a draw bridge - which made me realise I haven't got the faintest idea about the difference or whether they were incorrect!

Draw Bridges always make me think of vikings and castles.

I was just interested because I have always know the southern Oxford to have lift bridges, and then BW called on a draw bridge - which made me realise I haven't got the faintest idea about the difference or whether they were incorrect!

Draw Bridges always make me think of vikings and castles.

Mmmmmm, knights rampant, or somesuch.

Is the a lift bridge the same as a draw bridge?

A draw bridge is one type of lift bridge. A draw bridge is generally operated by ropes or chains attached to the outer end of the bridge, which then pass over a frame above or towards the tail of the bridge and are then attached to a winding mechanism. When the mechanism is operated the rope or chain winds onto a drum, drawing the bridge deck upwards.

There are many types of lift bridges - one of the next commonest being a bascule bridge, where the weight of the bridge deck is counterbalanced by a weight on the opposite side of the pivot point.

Sometimes the name draw bridge is given to bridges that are retracted horizontally - being drawn backwards by cables or chains - which can be rather confusing!!!

Hope this is helpful - I have lots more bridge types listed on my hobby website www.movablebridges.org.uk - I will shortly be adding over 400 more drawbridge locations onto the website - mostly related to castles, forts, fortified manors and medieval town gates!

Skip

I have always ubnderstood the bridges on the Southern Oxford as Lift Bridges, and in more than 40 years, have never heard anyone refer to them as Draw bridges.

Tne fact that someone currently working for BW calls them Drawbridges says as much about BW and their recreuirment as it does about their understanding of History and Heritage!!

Edited by David Schweizer

I have always ubnderstood the bridges on the Southern Oxford as Lift Bridges, and in more than 40 years, have never heard anyone refer to them as Draw bridges.

Tne fact that someone currently working for BW calls them Drawbridges says as much about BW and their recreuirment as it does about their understanding of History and Heritage!!

I would have said that the majority of bridges that I am familiar with on the Oxford Canal are a form of bascule bridge - with the long beams acting as the counterweights to the weight of the bridge deck. I cedrtainly haven't seen any that I would call a drawbridge.

I have just found magpie patricks's comment that the glossary on my website is unclear in its definitions. It is some time since I wrote the glossary and I have asked a friend to take a look at it and point out ways that it could be made clearer.

skip

I would have said that the majority of bridges that I am familiar with on the Oxford Canal are a form of bascule bridge - with the long beams acting as the counterweights to the weight of the bridge deck. I cedrtainly haven't seen any that I would call a drawbridge.

I have just found magpie patricks's comment that the glossary on my website is unclear in its definitions. It is some time since I wrote the glossary and I have asked a friend to take a look at it and point out ways that it could be made clearer.

skip

Skip, please don't take it personally, obviously I had no idea whose website it was

and have a beer while your about it (although that may do nothing for clarity) :lol:

Skip, please don't take it personally, obviously I had no idea whose website it was

and have a beer while your about it (although that may do nothing for clarity) :lol:

I'm a whisky man myself but after a 3 day party at Silverstone over the weekend I'm on the wagon for a few days! As to the glossary - I'm always open to comments and criticism on the website - I spend a lot of 'spare' time working on the website and want to get it right - I am forever tinkering with various sections - as my webmaster knows to his cost!

I'm a whisky man myself but after a 3 day party at Silverstone over the weekend I'm on the wagon for a few days! As to the glossary - I'm always open to comments and criticism on the website - I spend a lot of 'spare' time working on the website and want to get it right - I am forever tinkering with various sections - as my webmaster knows to his cost!

Skip, I've just had a look, and I will say it is obviously a labour of love for you. I'm impressed, I thought "I bet he won't have the Somersetshire Coal Canal ones!" but you have!

Just a note, the one at Dundas Junction was only built in 1988, before the canal closed it was a masonry arch bridge, however in the intervening 90 years this had been demolished and BW didn't want the hump back in their towpath when the first few hundred years of canal reopened. It is unusual (I believe, you will know better) in that rather than having a hinge it "rocks" backward and forward on little quadrants.

If I can track down more information for you about "our" bridges (I'm chairman of the Coal Canal Society) then I'll let you know.

Edited by magpie patrick

Skip, I've just had a look, and I will say it is obviously a labour of love for you. I'm impressed, I thought "I bet he won't have the Somersetshire Coal Canal ones!" but you have!

Just a note, the one at Dundas Junction was only built in 1988, before the canal closed it was a masonry arch bridge, however in the intervening 90 years this had been demolished and BW didn't want the hump back in their towpath when the first few hundred years of canal reopened. It is unusual (I believe, you will know better) in that rather than having a hinge it "rocks" backward and forward on little quadrants.

If I can track down more information for you about "our" bridges (I'm chairman of the Coal Canal Society) then I'll let you know.

Hi Patrick - thanks for the information on the Dundas Junction bridge - I have updated my report on the website. Looking again at my photos of the bridge and thinking about your comments I have realised that the design looks to be an updated version of the traditional bridges on the Oxford Canal - but a very unusual design for the south western counties.

If you do come across any more information - or even any old photos of the Tucking Mill bridge - I would be glad to hear from you!

Thanks

Stewart

Hi Patrick - thanks for the information on the Dundas Junction bridge - I have updated my report on the website. Looking again at my photos of the bridge and thinking about your comments I have realised that the design looks to be an updated version of the traditional bridges on the Oxford Canal - but a very unusual design for the south western counties.

If you do come across any more information - or even any old photos of the Tucking Mill bridge - I would be glad to hear from you!

Thanks

Stewart

If I remember correctly, it is an updated Oxford Canal Bridge, as it was moved to Dundas from Banbury! It was Bridge 162. It was moved when the A422, Hennet Way was built across the canal.

I think it's similar to the aluminium lift bridge (Br. 205 - Mill Lift Bridge) at Lower Heyford.

Edited by Dorlan

If I remember correctly, it is an updated Oxford Canal Bridge, as it was moved to Dundas from Banbury! It was Bridge 162. It was moved when the A422, Hennet Way was built across the canal.

I think it's similar to the aluminium lift bridge (Br. 205 - Mill Lift Bridge) at Lower Heyford.

Thanks for the information on the Dundas bridge - I have updated the reports on my website for Dundas Bridge on the Somerset Coal Canal and for bridge 162 on the Oxford Canal.

The last time bridge 162 appeared in the BW survey it was shown as aluminium and some doubts had been expressed about the accuracy of that record - so this has answered that question as well!