Equipment list for new boat

keble

Featured Posts

Apologies if this has been asked before - it's a tough one to search for :D We are buying a new boat (for delivery in March) and I need to start getting a list together of what I need in the way of equipment.

Leaving aside the normal living stuff (the mate will look after that) is there a list of essential boat gear somewhere?

We will be using rivers (Severn, Avon) occasionally so presumably an anchor? Also what length ropes (and types) would be needed for the deepest expected locks?

Any help much appreciated

Apologies if this has been asked before - it's a tough one to search for :D We are buying a new boat (for delivery in March) and I need to start getting a list together of what I need in the way of equipment.

Leaving aside the normal living stuff (the mate will look after that) is there a list of essential boat gear somewhere?

We will be using rivers (Severn, Avon) occasionally so presumably an anchor? Also what length ropes (and types) would be needed for the deepest expected locks?

Any help much appreciated

After 4 years on our new boat we have just been and bought a new table for her, you will never ever complete the list sorry it just grows like a bean stalk!!!

One thing we did was to make a list then try a dummy shop and buy from several shops you will soon realize which are the best deals, but try and buy good quality cos your bought is not like your home where fashion rules and after a short while you start chucking perfectly good stuff out.

Anchor with chain and rope fitted to anchor chain and sharp knife to cut anchor rope. Two poles of ash wood about 14 feet long and a boarding plank. Overboard ladder in case of a slip. On tidal waterways a set of lights and a horn not forgetting a marine radio. Lifejackets for the crew plus a spare. Set of canal map books and marine charts for your area.

Full tanks of diesel, water, coolant and fully charged batteries. Fully stocked bar and freezer and some good companionship!

Hello there, a boat hook will come in handy also mooring pins, ( both types) one type for hammering into ground and the other to attach to piling, lump hammer, gas bottle spanner, stern tube grease, good lenghts of rope, if the boat is around 50 to 60ft is an idea that you get lenghts of rope that you can hold in the middle if you see what I mean, a trolly for carting things like batteries around, fenders, oh and a bottle of Champers for the launch :D Wendy

Thanks for all the suggestions!

First question (more to follow): what's an "overboard ladder" - a standard ladder?

Second: how deep would a deep lock be - and so how long should the rope be?

Moggyjo wrote "... lenghts of rope that you can hold in the middle if you see what I mean" - actually I don't understand that if anyone could explain.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

First question (more to follow): what's an "overboard ladder" - a standard ladder?

Second: how deep would a deep lock be - and so how long should the rope be?

Moggyjo wrote "... lenghts of rope that you can hold in the middle if you see what I mean" - actually I don't understand that if anyone could explain.

Lengths of rope that are correct when doubled up. You don't use a single rope but you double it. Think to a bollard and back, that way you can loose it and stay on the boat.

If you fall in from a narrow boat, you will find it very difficult to get back on. You need a small ladder to climb on. Having written that, do not try to climb back on if the engine/prop is running.

Locks can be 14 feet deep so you need some ropes that are a minimum of 30 feet

I've been on my boat for a couple of months now and almost all my present were tool related! I had such a girl toolbox that it was embarrassing - now I have ptfe, elec tape, jubilee clips, tool roll (the only tools I had previously was a great set of assorted old spanners that came with the boat), hammer, pliers, drill.... Yes I was completely spoiled :lol:

Not that I'm expecting to ever have to use them or anything, I mean whoever has a list of things to do on the boat stashed anywhere :wub:

Oh a head torch - one of my best ever presents this year. It's the top of the fashion musts with a boat!

Many thanks to all who contributed. Here's a summary which includes some of my ideas - not all of which are strictly "equipment"!

Anchor & rope

Boat hook

Coal scuttle

Fenders

Fire tools

Gas bottle spanner

Key float

Lifejackets (children)

Lump hammer

Maps

Microwave

Mooring pins - ground and piling

Overboard ladder - small ladder to climb up on

Phone charger

Ropes - 30'

Sharp knife (to cut anchor rope)

Spec chain (stop specs falling into canal)

Stern tube grease

Toilet cassettes

Toolbox -ptfe tape, elec tape, jubilee clips, hammer, pliers, drill, screwdrivers

Torches - inc head torch

Trolley

Water hosepipe

Wood basket

As well as the sensible suggestions already made, I always have my trusty Leatherman knife/multitool with me. It gets me out of many problems on and off the boat, and has the advantage that it can open beer bottles.

You mentioned that you will be using the Severn and the Avon may I suggest you change 'lifejackets (children)' to lifejackets (everyone on board). Including the dog if you have one. :lol:

Point taken - thanks!

Many thanks to all who contributed. Here's a summary which includes some of my ideas - not all of which are strictly "equipment"!

Sharp knife (to cut anchor rope)

Please make sure you get a serrated sharp knife to cut anchor rope. Serrated knives are far more efficient than an ordinary sharp bladed knife when cutting ropes.

Something to put the ash from stove in until it cools down.

Newspaper / firelighters / kindling (to start the fire). Don't bank on being able to pick up dry enough twigs at the start

A scewdriver to fit the little screws in your glasses or, better still, a spare pair as I nearly lost a lens earlier this year.

BWB key to access sanitary stations (at least)

Spare bulbs for tunnel, navigation and interior lights

Spare fan belt

Replacement fuses of the correct value for each circuit

Adjustable spanner

Hacksaw

You may want some blue of you're using that in your loo cassettes

Cheap loo paper - dissolves easier!

Cruising Guides?

Magnet and windlass

Selection of screws and hooks

Engine Oil

Battery top up liquid

Rags (for keeping the engine bay clean)

Heavy duty (waterproof) gloves in case you get anything really tough round the prop in cold weather.

Edited by Ray

We use a two-way radio a lot especially when locking and also for asking for a cuppa when driving :wub: .

Good waterproofs (I like Berghaus) and sturdy boots.

Just for interest here is part of the inventory from a typical Alvechurch boat hire (I tried to link the page but it wasn't doing :lol:

Galley:

Baking Tray

Basins - large

Basins - small

Bath Mat

Television Set

Bread Bin

Chopping Board

Bread Knife

Broom

Bucket and Cloth

Buoyancy Aids

Butter Dish

Carving Knife & Fork Carving dish

Casseroles - large

Casseroles - small

Colander

Cooks Knives - large

Cooks Knives - small

Cork Screw

Cruet

Deck Mop

Dish Drainer

Dustpan and Brush

Egg Cups

First Aid Kit

Forks - large

Forks - small

Fruit Basket

Frying Pan

Glasses - medium

Glasses - small

Grater

Kettle

Knives - large

Knives - small

Milk Jug

Milk Pan

Mugs

Oven Gloves

Padlock and Key

Pedal Bin

Pie Plates - large

Pie Plates - small

Plates - dinner

Plates - soup

Plates - tea

Potato Peeler

Pyrex Jugs - large

Pyrex Jugs - small

Roasting Tin

Saucepans - large

Saucepans - medium

Saucepans - small

Scissors

Sponge Mop

Spoons - dessert/soup

Spoons - table

Spoons - tea

Stools/chairs

Sugar Basin

Tea and Sugar Caddie

Tea Tray

Tea Towels

Teapot and StrainerTin Opener

Toilet Brush

Tool Kit

Tooth Mug

Torch

Umbrella

Washing Up Bowl and Brush

Waste Bin

Waterproofs (2 sets)

Water Jug

Whisk

Wooden Spoon

Bedding:

Blankets

Duvet, duvet cover and fitted bottom sheet

Liners - single

Pillows

Pillow Cases

Sleeping Bags for pipe cot

Towels

One medium size towel per person, and a hand towel in each bathroom.

Outside:

Boarding Planks

Boat Hook

Boat Shaft - long

Life Belt

Lump Hammers

Mooring Stakes

Side Fenders

Waterhose and Connector

Windlasses