Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Featured Posts

Hi All

I am currently in the process of looking into a live living on a houseboat and wanted to ask your community for some help and guidance.

I currently live in the South of England in Portsmouth, Hampshire and wanted to know where would be the closest canal that I can live on with continuous crusing licence or with residential moorings? Also there are a number of marinas surrounding us: 

With that being sea water is that going to be ok on a canal boat? Or will this cause too much corrosive damage? Can you live at marina for 6 months at a time if I move from one to another?

Also does anyone know near to Portsmouth where I can store the canal boat while doing it up?

Appreciate any advice

There used to be a wide beam canal boat moored in the Hamble.If heading towards Southampton you could see if as you crossed the M27 bridge. If in saltwater you will need different nodes.

I always think "Houseboat" is rather a funny word. It brings to mind one of those square things that don't go anywhere, to me at least. I'm guessing you want a widebeam narrowboat? Yes you could certainly do 6 months in a marina, then cruise for 6 months... if that was your intention. Probably the nearest decent waterway to you would be the K&A. When I say decent, I really mean long, certainly long enough to cc on, and there are marinas too. Plus you can actually get a cc license as it is crt - no idea what the rules are for non crt waterways but prolly all different.

Probably you've not had many replies because it's such a vague question/s, but we all have to start somewhere and pretty soon you will know what to ask, for example pump out or cassette / what type of batteries / a million other things.

Good luck with your dream.