Sheffield steel 'Honky Tonk' in Waterways World Nov 18

Clodi

Featured Posts

In this months Waterways World mag there is a feature on 'Honky Tonk' a build by Sheffield -bases builders Finesse.

It looks a lovely build with some great design features. One of them is that the calorifier is suspended under the aft deck which 'allows storage on the swim below'.

This has got me thinking, My batteries are currently on the  uxter plate (6 x 6v Trojan ) in 3 battery boxes. However I have the 'automatic top-up' Trojan system which means I won't have to have access to the tops (once I'm convinced that the system works) therefore I can tuck the batteries away and if I were to keep them on the swim the battery leads could be shortened by a couple of meters.

Is there anything wrong with storing them on the swim?

Obviously not directly onto the steel plate, I'd place them on a frame to allow air flow and check there's no damp.

8 minutes ago, Clodi said:

Is there anything wrong with storing them on the swim?

As long as they are 'strapped down' & unable to move if the boat heels over to 45 degrees, and, the Terminals are covered - no problem.

In fact most of my NBs had had the batteries 'sat on the swim'.

From the BSS :

.....................restraint against vertical movement is generally required. However batteries may be secured by
means of a cradle or framework sufficient to ensure batteries remain secure under any condition up to 45° to
the horizontal. Recesses, cradles or frameworks extending to half the height of the battery meet this
allowance.

………………..All metal parts of battery terminals or connections must be
insulated or protected by battery covers or terminal covers.
All battery covers or terminal covers:
• must be made of insulating material; and,
• must not allow any metal part of the terminal or
connection to be exposed; and,
• must be free of signs of damage.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Thanks Alan, for some reason I've had an aversion to using the swim for storage. I like to keep them clean and dry. Must be a mental block as I could have saved myself a few bob buying less 50mm cable.