need boat moving...

crosser

Featured Posts

hi all...  ive just brought a 23ft springer all in good working order etc..  i need it bringing from shebdon  to gayton marina...   does anyone know who i can use please? its 95 miles by water and 7 days according to canal planner...  i had a quote but nearly fell off my perch.. i would do it myself but as im disabled its just to much ....   many thanks

dave

As far as I know, a professional boat mover would ask around £100 per day, so I'm guessing it might be £700. Maybe a bit less as it's nice easy canals, no rivers involved.

Someone doing it for a living needs to ask that much to make it worth getting out of bed for.

A good (far cheaper) alternative for you, if you have the time and can find someone, would probably be to do the move yourself, with the help of someone, preferably with at least basic canal experience, as crew. I've done this sort of thing for people off this forum a number of times, my going rate being just the food, because I don't have my own boat and see it as a cheap canal holiday. For me it depends whether I can fit you in around the other boating I have scheduled, as I'm often out with the Narrow Boat Trust as a volunteer (paying for my food of course in case anyone was wondering!). So:

When are you hoping to do this?

Are you fit enough that you could do the trip and at least steer the boat in and out of locks while your crew does the gates and paddles, as that's very helpful?

Also, is a Springer big enough to sleep two people separately?!

So you'll be off down to Autherley Junction, where you face the eternal dilemma; the interesting route up across Wolverhampton/Birmingham and down the GU to Braunston, or the somewhat more scenic long way round via Fradley Junction, more miles and traffic but less locks.