Solar vs Generator

Nick D

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Nick D said:

Thank you Sirweste, you have summarised my requirements exactly. I'm not the sort that wants to worry about tail currents and constantly checking amps and volts etc. although I do appreciate that some people are more fastidious than me and I thank all those that have contributed to this thread and I have learnt a lot, in particular what I can do to manage the batteries better if I choose to do so.  I also appreciate that my slightly more relaxed attitude than others in this area might mean that my batteries have a shorter life, but it's a price I'm willing to pay.  Prior to this latest exchange today and based on the previous advice in this thread, I had already decided to buy a Smartguage meter and will see how this goes.  

Sorry for this:

You are already aware that the only information you get from a Smartgauge is when to start charging your battery bank, but given that you have decided to buy one, you must be planning to look at it often enough to make it worth owning. You are also aware that you are going to be guessing when your batteries are fully charged.

I have both Smartgauge and a NASA BM2. I used to have only the NASA - If I was to have one or the other, the NASA would be a no-brainer, (in fact, it was when I made the decision in 2012). It tells you how many Amp Hours you've used since you last fully charged, provided you zero the counter, (a long press of one button), at fully charged, so you can decide when you need to start charging. It also tells you instantaneous Amps flowing so, when charging, you can see the charge current, which is also the tail current when it gets low enough.

You don't need to "worry" about tail current amps and volts, you just glance at the monitor when you pass, or when your "judgement" tells you it's time to stop charging, and you get a quick check as to whether your guess is correct.... or not. Bit similar to your glancing at the Smartgauge to check whatever it is you plan to use it to check - and this should not be, (must not be?), to check that your batteries are full, or even to help with your guess :(

• Greenie 1