Slightly worrying issue with water supply.

Featured Posts

When we were last on the boat a couple of months ago the water in the bathroom sink had little white flakes in it.  Nothing visible in other supplies I.e. the kitchen and the shower.

this time when we went on and turned on the bathroom tap there was a pretty rank sulphurish smell and the water was initially discoloured.  It cleared after running and I ran a lot t of hot water through.  Not discernable flakes after this and the water smelled and looked OK.

i shaves in it but cleaned my teeth in the kitchen erring on the side of caution.  I drank water all week direct from the kitchen tap often unboiled in squash and am still here so that is presumably OK.

on the bathroom supply i assume this is some sort of algae infestation so the question is do I need to get the piping stripped down and cleaned and/or replaced or does the hive-mind think it I near emptied the tank, made up a strongish Miltons solution, and drew enough up from r this to sit in the kitchen pipe for a week or so would this do the trick?

just wondered if anyone else has experienced similar.

Was the issue with the hot or cold or both?  If the hot only then I am wondering if it is limescale from the calorifier (if you have one).  

The ususal method suggested for cleansing the tank routinely is to use a weak chlorine solution as you  have suggested.  Thin bleach is cheaper than Milton.  A week would be a long soak though. I think overnight is more usual.

1 hour ago, owenk said:

Thanks.  From memory it was mainly the cold so I’ll try a very weak bleach soak.

Or you could flush it through with Doombar, which would remove any gunk and which of course would leave no after-taste at all.