Paint & vinyl graphics

Featured Posts

Following on from recent topics about paint & sign writing and just for information.

I have just been sent this photo our the boat that has been painted with Johnstons professional gloss with Vinyl graphics applied. Given the conditions over recent weeks I am tolerably happy with the finish although its far from perfect. I was also happy with the vinyl graphics that I purchased from a well known supplier of narrow boat vinyl graphics until I told them of a problem on one letter that looked like a manufacturing fault, I felt there was a packaging problem. and pointing out that to tell a narrow boat owner that carnauba wax polish must not be used only AFTER purchase made the graphics not fit for purpose (on a narrowboat. The reply I got sent later that night was verging on the unbelievable in that it apparently deliberately misunderstood what I wrote, countered the printed instructions that came with the graphics, tried to blame me for the problem, and was in my view rude and insulting. They also totally failed to comprehend any problems that might result from only telling customers they must not use the wax polish after purchase.

The initial customer service was excellent but their response was totally unacceptable. This matter is not over yet because when I get the fitting instructions back from the boat I will send them a copy and ask for an apology. So on the basis of my experience so far I can still recommend vinyl graphics as an acceptable alternative to sign writing for an run of the mill boater but I can not in all honesty recommend this company because of their appalling response.

If by chance anyone is thinking of going vinyl you may like to message or email me for further details so you can avoid the company.

The Boat:

1625955399_Newcolour.JPG.05636204ce815c0ed5b9fef5f8b3eef0.JPG

• Greenie 1

Not wishing to be controversial Tony but I would have considered that using any wax or oil products before fixing any self adhesive product was going to be contra to a successful outcome.

Practically every sticky things or paint instructions demand a dust and grease free surface.

Or have I misunderstood?

3 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

Not wishing to be controversial Tony but I would have considered that using any wax or oil products before fixing any self adhesive product was going to be contra to a successful outcome.

Practically every sticky things or paint instructions demand a dust and grease free surface.

Or have I misunderstood?

Now it's interesting that you said that. Its the accusation made by the company. Please re-read what I said - they clearly did not. In a separate part of the instructions well away from the installation but it clearly states that you must not use Carnauba wax polish on their graphics. You find this out AFTER you have bought the items. How the !!!! can you use a very popular type of narrowboat polish after reading that? In my view it makes the product "not fit for purpose". It would be different if thatw as made VERY clear before ordering.

I copy the relent part detailing my application method from my email:

My procedure, as per your instructions were as follows:

1. wash off a well oversized area with plain water & microfibre cloth.

2. Wash off again with sugar soap & rinse off with plenty of water & another microfibre cloth.

3. Degrease the whole area with panel wipe/spirit wipe the "standard" degreaser used in the automotive refinish industry, again with a new microfibre cloth, constantly turning.

4. When dry and checked the whole area was smear free & then apply graphics using the wet method.

The only divergence from their instructions were that rather than use domestic washing up liquid or commercial vehicle detergent I used sugar soap to remove "traffic film etc." and instead of the SUGGESTED but not mandatory meths to degrease I use the normal vehicle panel/spirit wipe. Three graphics went on well but the third had a problem that looked to me like a manufacturing fault. That suggest to me that I did nothing wrong.