Stourton to Lapworth. Overnight stops.

GeoffS

Featured Posts

I will be at Autherley Junction and need to get to the southern Grand Union. I came via the Coventry and Staff and Worcs and was going to retrace my route. However in discussion someone suggested the following route:

Stourton

Black Delph

Dudley No 1 and then 2

Netherton Tunnel

BCN Main Line

Kings Norton

Lapworth

I normally cruise 4/5 hours a day and am happy to do more when necessary and don't mind the number of locks. My main concern is finding safe overnight moorings on the route.

Does anyone have any suggestions, advice, places to avoid etc as it will be a totally new route for me and I will be doing it single handed.

Thanks in advance.

As with any route to do with Birmingham you will have to do a day with a lot of locks to get there, and in the case of your route a day with a good few to get out.  You can moor a couple of locks (I think it is a couple) up the Stourbridge.  Then I would go to Merry Hill (this will be your hardest day).  From there it a a nice one lock cruise to the centre of Birmingham.  From Birmingham, go at least to Shirley lift bridge, a good 4 hours an no locks from Birmingham.  I you don’t mind 5.5 hours then go from Birmingham to the Blue Bell at Warings Green. Fron there you can moor 2 locks down the Lapworth flight, and then again by the Boot pub (flash).  Then mooring anywhere on the GU either side of the junction or go on the Rowington embankment which is a great mooring spot.  I assume from then on you know the route.

I like the route suggested and John's advice above is sound; I have done it many times without issue.  If you're exploring as you go with plenty of time you could do that route but also consider popping down the short arm to overnight Stourbridge. Similarly, you could also add in the remarkable Gosty Hill Tunnel to overnight in Hawne Basin (Coombeswood Canal Trust) just before the Netherton Tunnel - their diesel is always at the lowest price around.  If time is tight, up the Wolverhampton 21 would be the quickest to Birmingham to then continue the route - if you choose that way, you will need advice on stopping places but it's fine.  If you have stacks of time, why not go all the way down to Stourport (overnight stops anywhere other than poor old Kidderminster which ought to be a fine place to stay but alas they have unsociable element issues) and take the best bit of the River Severn down to Worcester then up via Tardebigge and Wast Hill Tunnel before turning down the North Stratford.  That's the nicest route for my money.

Edited by Sea Dog
Autocorrect renamed Gosty!

We've done this route a number of times. We normally stop by the Stourbridge Arm before heading off up Stourbridge and Black Delph flights. There are a lot of locks but it only takes about 5 hours to Merry Hill and there are good moorings on the embankment overlooking the shopping centre. From there it's an easy cruise to Gas Street. If you actually moor alongside Gas Street it can be very noisy (particularly at weekends) and you get the occasional idiots trying to untie your moorings or climb on the boat.  There are quieter moorings by the Sea Life centre or if you are concerned about security you can contact Sherborne Wharf who normally have a couple of secure visitor moorings available for a fee. From there it's an easy run round to the North Stratford. We don't tend to start looking for moorings until we get through Brandwood tunnel. In the past we've moored opposite Lyon's boatyard, The Drawbridge Shirley, The Blue Bell Warings Green, The Wharf Hockley Heath (we're here at the moment!), Lapworth Cricket Club, The Boot Lapworth, Kingswood Junction between the locks and the GU, Tom 'o' the Wood Turners Green, or Shrewley. Take your pick depending on how much you want to do each day! If you are looking to move in the next few days avoid getting too close to the top of Hatton flight as its a Horsefly paradise at the moment!

Edited by Mal in Somerset