Help!!

monkeyt

Featured Posts

Hello, I'm totally new to this and I need help.

Me and my fiancee are two skint 20 somethings that can't afford property prices (Who can!) and are considering the idea of living on a narrowboat.

We have got ideas on the type and style of boat we want but we need more info on thing like running costs, finding residential moorings, licences and safety certificates etc. We both work close to the River Wey in Surrey and ideally want a mooring close to byfleet/pyrford.

If anyones got clues as to where to start all info will be gratefully recieved!!

Thanks!!

Monkey

Welcome to the forum.

The only difference to the running cost of a boat and a house is the boat will probably be more than the house.

The only advantage of a boat is the buying price.

The Wey is a 'special' situation, we have a member on the forum that is connected with the Wey they may be able to help

Have a search 'top right' for any queries, most have been answered but if you cannot find the answer do ask again.

Me and my fiancee are two skint 20 somethings that can't afford property prices (Who can!) and are considering the idea of living on a narrowboat.

We have got ideas on the type and style of boat we want but we need more info on thing like running costs, finding residential moorings, licences and safety certificates etc. We both work close to the River Wey in Surrey and ideally want a mooring close to byfleet/pyrford.

If anyones got clues as to where to start all info will be gratefully recieved!!

Thanks!!

Please feel free to take a look at my web site which details much of what we have done to our boat to make it a liveaboard for 5. The website starts with the usual www and is then canalpages it is a dot co dot uk site. (Sorry about the odd way of giving the address but it stops 'bots' crawling the address.

Follow the link for 'going liveaboard'

Would be more than happy to tell you all I know (shouldn't take more than 2 - 3 minutes :lol: )

Steev

Thanks!!

Skint, canal boat and surrey..... that doesn't sound like a very good comibination at all. I moored in Surrey for a couple of years, moorings are like hens teeth (it is who you know not what you know), and they are expensive. You can get a mooring on the basingstoke (that is liveaboard) by buying a boat on a mooring - but they are like hensteeth too, and not cheap. Pyford has a marina but no liveaboards are allowed........

edit: the best place to start (I think) is to find a mooring, or at least see whether you can get one and see whether you can afford it. Also, work out your budget and see whether it is in the right bracket to enable you to afford the mooring fees in that area and the licenses (waterscape.com will help you with that). You may find that you can moor on the Thames and if you have a car it would be easy to get to work from there.

Edited by Bones

Helloooo

If you wanna moor on the Wey - You need to get yourself on the waiting list...and pray :( Go to office at Dapdune Wharf in Guildford (down the side of the Surrey Cricket ground). It was only a fiver or something last year to get on the list and there are luckily quite a few moorings in the byfleet/new haw area of varying quality and varying facilities...you might get lucky. I would get on there as soon as possible, that is of course once you've decided whether your going to get a boat or not.

One other thing to bear in mind is the longer the boat you buy - the harder it is to find a suitable space to fit it in. However, this only really becomes an issue once you get past the 60 ft mark.

My final bit of advice would be...get out on foot/bike and enjoy the beautiful weather (an numerous great pubs!) travelling the towpaths of the areas in which you're interested. Speak to anyone and everyone who is doing the same as you want to do, ask around, make friends and contacts.....because, as Bones mentioned - it has a certain amount to do with who you know as well - you may be able to get inside information :lol:

Nic