Cost of refitting a 20ft NB?

Featured Posts

17 minutes ago, thenortherner said:

So £20-22K all in.

I just don't believe it's money well spent in this case.  Very much doubt I'd get anything close to a return on that.

If you re looking for a 'return', best to buy some shares or property. Boats only ever cost you money (in spades).

I don't disagree, and did say earlier I recognise it's not an investment or something I'll see a return on.

However it makes no sense to knowingly put money into something where the cost of the purchase plus refurb is worth less than the sum of its parts.

You wouldn't choose to build a house at a cost of £100K knowing that its value once complete is £80K, so why do it with a boat needing a refit?

It'd be better to spend the £80K on a house in the first place.

Just now, thenortherner said:

I don't disagree, and did say earlier I recognise it's not an investment or something I'll see a return on.

However it makes no sense to knowingly put money into something where the cost of the purchase plus refurb is worth less than the sum of its parts.

You wouldn't choose to build a house at a cost of £100K knowing that its value once complete is £80K, so why do it with a boat needing a refit?

It'd be better to spend the £80K on a house in the first place.

Actually I would, easily, and I'e seen it done many times often with far bigger sums than that. 

People (including me) will do it to get a house, or boat, which is exactly what they want, not something vaguely similar. The re-selling value is sometimes irrelevant.

5 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

But I reckon you can make the material cost almost anything you want - use old pallets or premium mahogany.

Be no point in doing it then.