Advice Please

sman3d

Featured Posts

Good Evening

I'm looking for some advice regarding purchasing a boat to live on permanently, I apologise if many of the questions are ones you have been asked hundreds of times before but I have no idea regarding boating.

The situation is my Mother has decided that she wishes to live on a narrow boat, as her main and permanent residence, I am obviously concerned that she gets the right type of mooring/boat etc (she is 56) the questions I have are.

1/ Is it possible to obtain permanent moorings that you can live on all the time ?

2/ Where would you recommend as a marina for this type of mooring from a safety and social point of view in the Herts/Bucks/Beds area ?

3/ Is it best to purchase a New or Used boat ?

4/ Is it common practice to haggle/make offers on New and Used boats in the same way as cars/houses ?

5/ Should you obtain the mooring or boat first ?

6/ What is the difference between a Grade 1 and Grade 2 Mooring ?

7/ How does the ownership Title pass on a boat ? is it like a car or is it done via a solicitors like a house purchase ?

Any other advice in addition to this would be gratefully received, thanks in advance

A Concerned Son !!

:rolleyes:

Good Evening

I'm looking for some advice regarding purchasing a boat to live on permanently, I apologise if many of the questions are ones you have been asked hundreds of times before but I have no idea regarding boating.

The situation is my Mother has decided that she wishes to live on a narrow boat, as her main and permanent residence, I am obviously concerned that she gets the right type of mooring/boat etc (she is 56) the questions I have are.

1/ Is it possible to obtain permanent moorings that you can live on all the time ?Yes but they can be like looking for hens teeth.

2/ Where would you recommend as a marina for this type of mooring from a safety and social point of view in the Herts/Bucks/Beds area ?Sorry cannot help on that one, do not know the area

3/ Is it best to purchase a New or Used boat ? Depends on your budget, if you have one built then you will possibly be able to have some input to the layout/items fitted.

4/ Is it common practice to haggle/make offers on New and Used boats in the same way as cars/houses ?You will be able to haggle on a second hand one but doubtful on a new build

5/ Should you obtain the mooring or boat first ?Catch 22 but the general advice is to get the mooring first (see 1)

6/ What is the difference between a Grade 1 and Grade 2 Mooring ?Do not know but probably to do with facilities available

7/ How does the ownership Title pass on a boat ? is it like a car or is it done via a solicitors like a house purchase ?Solicitors not involved similar to buying a car but there is not a 'log book'. CAVEAT EMPTOR

Any other advice in addition to this would be gratefully received, thanks in advance

A Concerned Son !!

:help:

Welcome to the forum, have a perusal and use the 'search' (top right) you may find the answer if not do ask on the relative thread.

:cheers:

Yeah, welcome aboard.

- Keith says, if nothing else, wondering round the forum will help give an all round feel for the sport!

Its also worth saying that geting a new boat built is far far more like have house build than buying a new car. There are places that do a more off-the-shelf type setup etc, but far more frequently you have have to spend quite a bit of time 'doing you homework' on varous builder/fitter/etc, like choosing builders/plumbers for a house.

- That said, like anything second hand, you can spend a long time looking for 'the right boat for you'

If your not planning to be moving the boat much/frequently (a decent distance, a minimum of every 14days) then you need to find a permanent mooring, or get used to being unpopular.

- Permanant moorings can either be in a marina (which in theself vary in size and feeling) or on a linear-mooring, usually on the offside of the canal (non towpath side)

- They can be hard to fine, sometimes very hard to find. However its more than possable to get one almost anywhere if you spend lon enough trying.

- 'Waiting lists' are one thing, but many places will actaully give the space to the guy who rang up yesterday, rather than the guy who 'got put on the list' 6months ago. Even if they still have that list.

- Also some marinas dont allow liveaboards or are not insured/permitted to have residential moorings within there marina. Although there are alo many who are very happy to have a few people actually living there to keep an eye on stuff!

- It is also not uncommon to stuggle to even get on the waiting list if you dont acttualy have a boat! Free marinas would be able to say there short of people, so its rairly any interest to them to have someone on there books who doesnt want to pay them money yet.

- But also if you go and talk to people, quite a lot of places will 'put you on the end next to bills boat' untill they get a space.

- From a soical point of veiw it again depents a lot, but for instance, the marina we stayed at last winter has about 6/8 people or couples living fairly permanatly, at one end of the marina, and then have picnic tables patio plants and solor lights around there moorings an often sit out for the evening to have a chat and a smoke.

- Not sure about the 'mooring grades' not come across that before, but you get moorings with more or less factilys. For instace with/without electrical conection, even about of electrical conection (some will have places with 2/4/6/8amp trips depending on how mch you pay, some are metered) and also distance to or existance of a tap/toilet/shop play a part in mooring costs.

But yeah, i could write this stuff all night, theres certainly no end to the amount you can know about the stuff! But its actaully all bloody good fun!!

Daniel

HI

As a 55 year old woman who has long contemplated the joys of boat life I would suggest that your Mum does a couple of holidays on hire boats (if she has not already done so) especially out of peak season when the weather may be cold and wet, as opposed to peak season when the weather is warm and wet.

Also to think if she would like living in a marina, possibly very close to other boats.

Would she have friends to help her move the boat or could she do a helmsman's course so that she can manage alone?

Would she be selling up and getting off the housing ladder or keeping somewhere on 'the Bank' to go back to in her dotage?

More to the point - is she squandering your inheritance? If she is - Brilliant :help: - Go fo it Mum!

:cheers:

HIAs a 55 year old woman who has long contemplated the joys of boat life I would suggest that your Mum does a couple of holidays on hire boats (if she has not already done so) especially out of peak season when the weather may be cold and wet, as opposed to peak season when the weather is warm and wet.Also to think if she would like living in a marina, possibly very close to other boats.Would she have friends to help her move the boat or could she do a helmsman's course so that she can manage alone?Would she be selling up and getting off the housing ladder or keeping somewhere on 'the Bank' to go back to in her dotage?More to the point - is she squandering your inheritance? If she is - Brilliant :boat: - Go fo it Mum! :rolleyes:
We've just decided to buy a boat, but didn't want to get off the housing ladder as didn't think we'd ever get back into the housing market if we just sold up completely.So we extended the mortgage - I'd suggest its the best way if you have the option.