Marineflex or Sikaflex?

MtB

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Tony Brooks said:

I don't like the separate lower panel because it may vibrate at a different frequency to the main structure or expand/move at a different rate but if its to stay the first thing I would do is fill the gaps with epoxy filler and hope. Then tile as has been discussed. If you could find an all in one plastic panel to fit over the whole area so much the better.

Yeah, didn't have a lot of choice with that unfortunately. The bit that was cut out was rotten and the whole panel goes pretty much from the bedroom to the kitchen, which was annoying so couldn't replace just that one section. I'll jam in some filler but initial tests seem to suggest no rattles or vibrations.

10 minutes ago, welly said:

Yeah, didn't have a lot of choice with that unfortunately. The bit that was cut out was rotten and the whole panel goes pretty much from the bedroom to the kitchen, which was annoying so couldn't replace just that one section. I'll jam in some filler but initial tests seem to suggest no rattles or vibrations.

I’d firstly cover the whole space with a neatly cut piece of 4mm ply, glued with contact adhesive (EvoStick). That will give a stable base on which to tile. Forget filler - if the panels move the filler will fall out and if they don’t move you don’t need it. 

26 minutes ago, WotEver said:

I’d firstly cover the whole space with a neatly cut piece of 4mm ply, glued with contact adhesive (EvoStick). That will give a stable base on which to tile. Forget filler - if the panels move the filler will fall out and if they don’t move you don’t need it. 

That makes sense, cheers Wot!

9 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I'd start by fitting a shower tray the right size so you don't need those horizontal pieces of wood as fillers. Recipes for leaks!

Those horizontal pieces of wood aren't fillers. The front piece is so I can tile to it, the other pieces are beading that will be stained and varnished and masticed.

I'm having a go at the tiling now, the problem I'm having is because the wall isn't completely flush, using that Dow Corning some tiles aren't sitting flush against the wall. So I think I'm going to have to use a proper tile adhesive.

1 hour ago, welly said:

I'm having a go at the tiling now, the problem I'm having is because the wall isn't completely flush, using that Dow Corning some tiles aren't sitting flush against the wall.

Don’t push so hard :)

Some tiles will have a greater thickness than others to get them all even. 

However, if you’ve covered the wall with a nice piece of ply, why isn’t it even?

54 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Don’t push so hard :)

Some tiles will have a greater thickness than others to get them all even. 

However, if you’ve covered the wall with a nice piece of ply, why isn’t it even?

I'm not entirely sure. It was probably the tiles not the wall. I'll have another go a bit later. Had to step away from it in case I threw the tiles at the effing wall!

Edited by Guest

47 minutes ago, welly said:

I'm not entirely sure. It was probably the tiles not the wall. I'll have another go a bit later. Had to step away from it in case I threw the tiles at the effing wall!

Have a short length of batten or a short spirit level or similar handy to push a bunch of tiles at the same time. You should then get them all even-ish. Don’t wait until the adhesive has started to go off though ;)

Almost done... shower anyway. Need to varnish the beading, mastic/seal it and then I can have a shower. Can't wait.

And some cleaning up. Oh, and the new "vinyl floor planks" need laying too.

IMG_20180612_222428.jpg.f1ce99582eb33b6a97a11d11a8317cb0.jpg

Edited by Guest