Stoke Bruerne

Gillie

Featured Posts

Trying to plan our summer holiday...

We are hoping to have a month to travel from Newbury in and one of the options possible would be to get to Stoke Bruerne ( & back ! )

having never been I wondered if it is a wonderful as it looks in the pictures..

in other words is it worth a visit...?

Going through Braunston and Blisworth tunnels to get there would be quite exciting to!! :blush:

The ring can be done in a fortnight, Newbury - Reading ....Reading - Newbury will add perhaps 3 days to it....

I've not checked with canalplan but would say Stoke Bruerne is roughly the half way point...I used to do Reading - Stoke Bruerne regularly with Nuneaton & Brighton and allowed 5 days to make the trip either way.

Waiting for the tide at Teddington or Brentford can add many to the time of the, technically shorter, route via London.

The place is nice, the museum, like all the waterways museums, is rubbish. Dirty, dusty exhibits, unprofessionally displayed and with inaccuracies. Compared to the museums containing our national collections in other fields, the waterways museums are shameful.