Avast Avast it's got a mast

Yar Well

Featured Posts

Like it! How easy/quick is it to take down for tunnels?

Really simple.I have put four 32mm dia cup magnets on the bottom and whilst it gives it extreemly good contact it is easy to break the magnetic field by just pulling it back. The other benifit is that you can place it wherever you want on any metal part of the boat witout any drilling welding etc and can be stored away from prying eyes when you are away from the boat (see pic)

magneticfeetjy4.jpg

Shot at 2007-06-26

p1000067xx7.jpg

Shot with DMC-TZ3 at 2007-06-26

Re Illegal union flag I could be Johnny Foreigner and flying it as a courtesy flag.

Yar Well ( I'm English through and through so I,ll take it down)

Really simple.I have put four 32mm dia cup magnets on the bottom and whilst it gives it extreemly good contact it is easy to break the magnetic field by just pulling it back. The other benifit is that you can place it wherever you want on any metal part of the boat witout any drilling welding etc and can be stored away from prying eyes when you are away from the boat (see pic)

What a lovely, simple, solution! One, I feel, I shall steal when I get round to putting on a proper TV aerial if I have to.

I didn't contribute to the last of the many 'Illegal flag' discussions but as I understand it anyone can fly a Union Flag from anywhere at any time. Surely it is only the ensign flags that there is some dispute about. Having said that it is interesting to speculate just how many boaters are languishing in gaol for hoisting the wrong bit of fabric up a mast.

what does it do?

Apart from flying illegal flags you can rig an aerial from it for VHF radio if you go onto Tidal rivers or to improve your wi fi reception if you are into nfrormation technology[ or to hang a washing line from the uses are endless. Unfortunately not large enough to hang MUTINEERS AND TROUBLEMAKERS FROM!!! :blush::lol:

Yar Well ( be warned)

I didn't contribute to the last of the many 'Illegal flag' discussions but as I understand it anyone can fly a Union Flag from anywhere at any time. Surely it is only the ensign flags that there is some dispute about. Having said that it is interesting to speculate just how many boaters are languishing in gaol for hoisting the wrong bit of fabric up a mast.

Union Flag - not on a vessel you can't.

red ensign is OK.

Union Flag - not on a vessel you can't.

red ensign is OK.

I had quick rod around with Google and couldn't find any 2 websites that agreed with each other. My conclusion being that nobody knows. But according to....

http://www.flaginstitute.org/index.php?location=7

We can fly a white bordered union jack (jack or flag are both accepted terms) or a red ensign.

I have no idea what is right and what isn't.

Gibbo

I have just emailed Piiggots - etablished 1780, suppliers of flags. 'Piggotts is also a member of the Flag Institute (which is affiliated to the Vexillological Association)' requesting information on flag flying protocol for a British owned boat on travelling on British inland waterways.

I'll post the reply.

I have just emailed Piiggots - etablished 1780, suppliers of flags. 'Piggotts is also a member of the Flag Institute (which is affiliated to the Vexillological Association)' requesting information on flag flying protocol for a British owned boat on travelling on British inland waterways.

I'll post the reply.

Heres the reply from Piggots:

Thank you for your enquiry.

From my personnel experience I would say the Red Ensign - BUT would suggest

you make contact with the Flag Institute to clarify.

www.flaginstitute.org

Sorry I could not be of any further assistance.

Best regards

Kelly

So follow Gibbo's link!

Heres the reply from Piggots:

Thank you for your enquiry.

From my personnel experience I would say the Red Ensign - BUT would suggest

you make contact with the Flag Institute to clarify.

www.flaginstitute.org

Sorry I could not be of any further assistance.

Best regards

Kelly

So follow Gibbo's link!

Speaking from many years experience as a ship's officer I can confirm that the Red Ensign is the correct flag to fly.

The Union Jack with a white surround can be carried on a jack staff at the fore end of the boat.

As for the flying of the Union Jack by foreign vessels this is down to ignorance.

Hope this helps

Norman

Speaking from many years experience as a ship's officer I can confirm that the Red Ensign is the correct flag to fly.

The Union Jack with a white surround can be carried on a jack staff at the fore end of the boat.

As for the flying of the Union Jack by foreign vessels this is down to ignorance.

Hope this helps

Norman

Hi Norman

So can you tell us which courtesy flag a foreign vessel would fly when visiting a British Port? It's certainly not an ensign as they are always flown at the stern and not the mainmast. When I was in the Navy (Merchant Red Ensign) we always flew the national flag of the country we were visiting from just below the portside crosstree of the Mainmast as a courtesy. The starboard side just below the crosstree was reserved for signal flags ie Quaranteen flag ( yellow) meaning I request the services of a doctor to give the vessel a clean bill of health (or not) Blue Peter (White square on dark blue background) meaning the vessel will be sailing within 24hrs. etc etc............................

Yar Well ( ignorance is bliss!!)

Hang on a minute whats this

victoryca7.png

BLIMEY even Nelson got it wrong :blush:

Shot at 2007-06-26

Edited by Yar Well

Maybe, but by the looks of it you have it upside down so are you in distress?

Ken

There is a right way up for the Union Jack, but it is not flown upside down as a signal of a ship in distress. That is only done with ensigns, ...

Next :blush:

Yar Well ( answer that)

Hi Norman

So can you tell us which courtesy flag a foreign vessel would fly when visiting a British Port? It's certainly not an ensign as they are always flown at the stern and not the mainmast. When I was in the Navy (Merchant Red Ensign) we always flew the national flag of the country we were visiting from just below the portside crosstree of the Mainmast as a courtesy. The starboard side just below the crosstree was reserved for signal flags ie Quaranteen flag ( yellow) meaning I request the services of a doctor to give the vessel a clean bill of health (or not) Blue Peter (White square on dark blue background) meaning the vessel will be sailing within 24hrs. etc etc............................

Yar Well ( ignorance is bliss!!)

Hang on a minute whats this

victoryca7.png

BLIMEY even Nelson got it wrong :blush:

Shot at 2007-06-26

At the risk of boring our fellow canal enthusiasts, I checked up on the protocol for the courtesy flag to be flown by a foreign vessel in a British port and it is the Red Ensign. Admiralty Manual of Seamanship Vol 1.

I was merchant navy also.

Norman

There is a right way up for the Union Jack, but it is not flown upside down as a signal of a ship in distress. That is only done with ensigns, ...

Next :lol:

Yar Well ( answer that)

Oh yes it is!

Placing the flag upside down is considered to be lèse majesté and is offensive to some, however, it can be deliberately flown upside down by the military as a distress signal. While this is rarely done these days, it was used by groups under siege during the Boer War and during campaigns in India in the late 18th century.

and

Civilian use is permitted, but stricter guidelines apply for use on naval vessels where the flag may not be used as a jack by merchant ships. Interestingly, unauthorised use of the flag in the 17th Century to avoid paying harbour duties - a privilege restricted to naval ships - caused James' successor, Charles I, to order that use of the flag on naval vessels be restricted to His Majesty's ships "upon pain of Our high displeasure". Those restrictions remain, and still today it is a criminal offence to fly the Union Flag from a boat.

:blush:

Ken

At the risk of boring our fellow canal enthusiasts, I checked up on the protocol for the courtesy flag to be flown by a foreign vessel in a British port and it is the Red Ensign. Admiralty Manual of Seamanship Vol 1.

I was merchant navy also.

Norman

OK OK I give up I will get a red duster and fly that. I will fly the Union Jack at the landing Stage as it is a land flag ( to small to make into underpants)

Yar Well (Look at this http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/flags/gb-use.htm :blush:) That's why I gtave up. :lol: