Gearbox Rattle

Jimbo7

Featured Posts

I have just had my gearbox and drive plate replaced with a like for like Technodrive TMC60-P coupled to Vetus M4.15.  Its on a SeaOtter.  I did consider a PRM150 but unfortunately it wouldn't fit my boat.  A downside of having to change a gearbox in a SeaOtter is that you have to lift it out of the water due to the PSS seal that is used.

I have taken the boat from Reading to Newbury this last weekend (15hrs) which is its first outing since the fitting and the gears engage OK and I also appear to have adequate thrust but the gearbox has a terrible rattle like some one shaking a handful of bolts in a tin can.  A noise I didn't have before and it occurs both in forward and reverse.  oddly enough with the engine board lifted and engine exposed you can barely hear it but with the boards down it transmits and is amplified through the tiller.

Any thoughts?  I'd like to understand some of the possible causes before I get the engineer who fitted it back (River Canal Rescue).

Was the rattle there on initial start up after the work was carried out (What I'n getting at is would/should the engineer have heard it on start up & gear engagement?)Is the noise there in neutral ?I wouldn't mess about I would get the guy back to look & listen continued running may cause more problems.

The noise isn't there in neutral and yes I would have expected it to have been picked up as part of the testing and I'm with you on getting them back, needless to say they don't get paid until it's fixed.

Thanks