Porta Potti Woe

Featured Posts

Just comissioned the new PP. Generally very impressed compared with the Sani Potti. Problem: Label removal.

I removed the the label that was under the lid by warming the lid and pulling one corner of the label. The vast majority of the glue came off with the label but there are a few bits left. We have tried nail varnish remover but that leaves a thin sticky bit of glue which is bound to attract the dirt.

Any ideas for getting the rest of it off?

Nick

Just comissioned the new PP. Generally very impressed compared with the Sani Potti. Problem: Label removal.

I removed the the label that was under the lid by warming the lid and pulling one corner of the label. The vast majority of the glue came off with the label but there are a few bits left. We have tried nail varnish remover but that leaves a thin sticky bit of glue which is bound to attract the dirt.

Nick

We have just removed the label from ours - we used standard B&Q Turpentine Substitute to soak it off. This didn't leave any visible residue but, when it had dried, we washed it with soapy water just to be sure . . .

We have just removed the label from ours - we used standard B&Q Turpentine Substitute to soak it off. This didn't leave any visible residue but, when it had dried, we washed it with soapy water just to be sure . . .

I have just tried that and it is partly successful. Where it fails is that it takes the surface off the plastic. It would remove the stickiness but leave the plastic dull. So far I have only tried it on an inconspicuous bit. I will see if there are any other suggestions before going further with this.

Nick

Nick

WD40

Be very careful with any of the stronger solvents such as acetone and lighter fluid. They will dissolve the glue, but when they evaporate off you will find that the glue will have been spread over a wider area and in the meantime the solvent WILL have attacked the plastic surface. Something like 1,1,1-Trichloroethane would be ideal, which used to be available under a number names such as Genclene - but you would probably find this even harder to get than acetone.

I have 2 methods that I have used successfully for a couple of years (i.e. ever since my 5 litre can of Genclene ran out!).

One is a small bottle of Mangers' De-Solv-It which I bought from a DIY store. Useful for lots of different stains and also removes label residue very well. Try B&Q or a wallpaper shop.

The other is gaffer tape. Any strong self-adhesive tape will do. Stick it on the glue and peel it off again. It may take several goes but the glue will stick to the tape and peel off with it. This is my preferred method for removing label residue from CD cases. And unlike acetone or lighter fluid you can even smoke while doing it without losing your eyebrows!

Norman

Be very careful with any of the stronger solvents such as acetone and lighter fluid. They will dissolve the glue, but when they evaporate off you will find that the glue will have been spread over a wider area and in the meantime the solvent WILL have attacked the plastic surface. Something like 1,1,1-Trichloroethane would be ideal, which used to be available under a number names such as Genclene - but you would probably find this even harder to get than acetone.

I have 2 methods that I have used successfully for a couple of years (i.e. ever since my 5 litre can of Genclene ran out!).

One is a small bottle of Mangers' De-Solv-It which I bought from a DIY store. Useful for lots of different stains and also removes label residue very well. Try B&Q or a wallpaper shop.

The other is gaffer tape. Any strong self-adhesive tape will do. Stick it on the glue and peel it off again. It may take several goes but the glue will stick to the tape and peel off with it. This is my preferred method for removing label residue from CD cases. And unlike acetone or lighter fluid you can even smoke while doing it without losing your eyebrows!

Norman

Lots of good ideas, thanks everyone.

I find Norman's idea particularly appealing

Nick

T

Nick

I use olive oil, but it needs leaving to work overnight.

The goo is usually oil based, so either can be dissolved away with a strong solvent that won't harm the plastic, or diluted with another oil.

cheers,

Pete.