Etiquette re breasting up.

Ian_L

Featured Posts

Hi Everyone,

Apologies if this has been asked several times but at least I have waded through the site and been unable to find it:

Breasting up. Whereby you tie up to another boat (makes me think of something else but.... won't go there) to moor for an indefinite period? Firstly, have I got the terminology right? Secondly, what's the etiquette here. Do you just chug up alongside and tie up, or do you knock and ask... what if there's no-one home? what happens if your neighbour wants to leave and you're in town shopping, or vice versa? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Ian

Hi Everyone,

Apologies if this has been asked several times but at least I have waded through the site and been unable to find it:

Breasting up. Whereby you tie up to another boat (makes me think of something else but.... won't go there) to moor for an indefinite period? Firstly, have I got the terminology right? Secondly, what's the etiquette here. Do you just chug up alongside and tie up, or do you knock and ask... what if there's no-one home? what happens if your neighbour wants to leave and you're in town shopping, or vice versa? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Ian

You should always ask wherever possible. Make sure that the boats are well fendered. If you are forced to breast up and no-one is on the other boat, always leave someone aboard yours to explain when the other crew return. The departure of the inner boat is matter for common sense. Talk about which of you are likely to wish to leave first and perhaps move the boats when there are two crews available to do it. If you are on the inside and want to leave first, assuming the other crew are not around, make sure you tie their boat up securley before you leave. It is all just a matter of common sense and courtesy. i.e. don't tie a 70 footer on the outside of a 30ft boat.

Tony

You should always ask wherever possible. Make sure that the boats are well fendered. If you are forced to breast up and no-one is on the other boat, always leave someone aboard yours to explain when the other crew return. The departure of the inner boat is matter for common sense. Talk about which of you are likely to wish to leave first and perhaps move the boats when there are two crews available to do it. If you are on the inside and want to leave first, assuming the other crew are not around, make sure you tie their boat up securley before you leave. It is all just a matter of common sense and courtesy. i.e. don't tie a 70 footer on the outside of a 30ft boat.

Tony

Thanks. It does concern me a little that I could come back to my boat and find someone breasted up to me and me being on my own would find it difficult to get out if I needed to move on.

Ian

On the thames you will also find miserable gits who prefer to look out of the window onto the river rather that watch somebody elses curtains.

Magnet

That is very true. But not all. Thats why I said friendly boats.

They display official stickers letting you know you're welcome to tie up alongside em.

"Things aren't what they used to be, breasting up was commonplace years ago but there are a lot of snooty characters around these day. I posted below last July.

I was struggling to find a mooring in the village (Coropedy). It was at one time accepted practise in such situations to ask a fellow boater if you may breast up alongside, this I did, addressing the occupants of the boat through an open window, I explained the situation very courteously adding that I would be away first thing in the morning and I have lots of fenders.

"I think that is a bit motch to ask" replied a Linda Snell from the far end of the boat, "Forget it" said I and moved on, I didn't bother asking anyone else on the trip."

Edited by John Orentas

They display official stickers letting you know you're welcome to tie up alongside em.

I still can't understand why the EA gave us ONE sticker when we went on the Thames last summer. Sometimes we moored on one side, sometimes the other, but it was a real sticky sticker so couldn't be transferred from side to side

breasting up was commonplace years ago

I can remember when the only time you moored to the bank was when you couldn't find someone to breast up to

Allan

Its so if you want someone to breast up, you can present that side and if you want to be alone, you can turn your boat round :cheers:

I still can't understand why the EA gave us ONE sticker when we went on the Thames last summer. Sometimes we moored on one side, sometimes the other, but it was a real sticky sticker so couldn't be transferred from side to side

I can remember when the only time you moored to the bank was when you couldn't find someone to breast up to

Allan

If someone wants to breast up beside my boat (in the absence of space) i will suggest they may wish to moor to the bank and i'll go on the outside. I am friendly, not snooty, not concerned with polish and paintwork however i live on a boat partly to enjoy the view out the window and i don't see why someone should block it, am i the only one who feels like this? (I know i'm not)

If someone wants to breast up beside my boat (in the absence of space) i will suggest they may wish to moor to the bank and i'll go on the outside. I am friendly, not snooty, not concerned with polish and paintwork however i live on a boat partly to enjoy the view out the window and i don't see why someone should block it, am i the only one who feels like this? (I know i'm not)