Heritage NarrowBoats

AllanW

Featured Posts

Hi

While still looking for a good boat of our own - I'm tempted to book a week or two with Heritage NarrowBoats later in the year and do either the Four Counties or Cheshire ring

http://www.heritagenarrowboats.co.uk

I've done a forum search with minimum results - so does anyone have any experience of this company?

I've seen their boats around the cut and they seem fairly tidy... but comments welcome

Thanks

Allan

Hi Allan.

Yes they are an old established company with a good reputation. Used to be called Dyecraft the ownership changed probably 8 years ago. their boats were always well looked after and looked good if a bit elderly. The company is situated in a very good location too.

Hi Allan.

Yes they are an old established company with a good reputation. Used to be called Dyecraft the ownership changed probably 8 years ago. their boats were always well looked after and looked good if a bit elderly. The company is situated in a very good location too.

Thanks John

I've gone ahead and booked from them now... I've got one of their two 'new for 2007' boats (Wedgewood class?) - so I'm off to do the Four Counties starting July 14th :cheers:

Allan

Thanks John

I've gone ahead and booked from them now... I've got one of their two 'new for 2007' boats (Wedgewood class?) - so I'm off to do the Four Counties starting July 14th :cheers:

Allan

Hove a wonderful time. We did the four counties some time ago. Well worth it.

Nick

Hi

While still looking for a good boat of our own - I'm tempted to book a week or two with Heritage NarrowBoats later in the year and do either the Four Counties or Cheshire ring

http://www.heritagenarrowboats.co.uk

I've done a forum search with minimum results - so does anyone have any experience of this company?

I've seen their boats around the cut and they seem fairly tidy... but comments welcome

Thanks

Allan

Their boats are tidy, and their takeover tuition is second to none.

I'd rate them as one of the better hire boat operators.

Their boats are tidy, and their takeover tuition is second to none.

I'd rate them as one of the better hire boat operators.

Thanks Mayalld...

Good to know I've spent wisely!

Just need to decide if I'm going clockwise or anti-clockwise around the Four Counties now! :cheers:

Allan

Thanks Mayalld...

Good to know I've spent wisely!

Just need to decide if I'm going clockwise or anti-clockwise around the Four Counties now! :cheers:

Allan

I would suggest clockwise would be easiest to manage.

That puts the biggest uncertainty that can throw your plans out (harecastle tunnel) at the start of the holiday.

You should plan to get through Harecastle on the an early passage of the day on the morning after you collect the boat (first passage is 8am or 9am depending which way goes first). Moor up between Red Bull and Pool lock aqueducts before the junction. You are about 30 minutes from the tunnel there. Aim to arrive in time for a 9am passage.

The second possible hold-up (middlewich branch) will be later on, but with a couple of days to make up lost time if it is busy.

I think you will waste a lot of time doing it that way, you will comfortably get through the tunnel on the day you pick up the boat and get through Stoke o T before mooring for the night. Aim for the Plume of Feathers at Barlaston.

Alternatively go anti-clockwise and get stuck into Heartbreak Hill on the first day, see how far you can get. Wheelock (Cheshire Cheese) is quite achievable, depends when you get the boat.

I think you will waste a lot of time doing it that way, you will comfortably get through the tunnel on the day you pick up the boat and get through Stoke o T before mooring for the night. Aim for the Plume of Feathers at Barlaston.

Alternatively go anti-clockwise and get stuck into Heartbreak Hill on the first day, see how far you can get. Wheelock (Cheshire Cheese) is quite achievable, depends when you get the boat.

With most hire companies advertising a 4pm takeover, and the need to load up and be instructed, you could be pushing it!

By all means go through Harecastle on the first night if possible, but the last passage southbound is at either 5pm or 6pm (depending which direction went first), and to be guaranteed passage you have to be there by 4pm.

What I would try to avoid is ending up having to moor by the tunnel portal. You are more likely to be bothered by noisy kids there.

As fo aiming for the Plume of Feathers at Barlaston... Unless you find that the boat has been fitted with guided missiles, I wouldn't bother. It has the worst food I have ever experienced.

Canalplan makes Heritage to Barlaston 6 hours 52 minutes. Not really feasible for the takeover day. Wheelock is 8hrs 39 min.

Even if you get the boat at 1pm, both are REALLY pushing it.

Edited by mayalld

Thanks Mayalld and John

Decisions decisions eh?

I've got a 2.00 pickup from Heritage Narrowboats (so call that 3.00 away from base), and word is that I have to get through the tunnel before 4.00? Is this correct?

Anyone else like to comment? Heartbreak Hill or Harecastle Tunnel first?

The canalplan choices are:

Anticlockwise...

First day of trip

On the Trent and Mersey Canal (Main Line - Harding's Wood to Middlewich) at Durose Bridge No 156

(10 miles, 1¼ flg and 27 locks)

Second day of trip

On the Shropshire Union Canal (Birmingham and Liverpool Junction Canal) at Nantwich Junction Bridge No 92

(18 miles, 4¾ flg and 9 locks)

Third day of trip

On the Shropshire Union Canal (Birmingham and Liverpool Junction Canal) at Tyrley Lock 2 No 4

(13 miles, 3¼ flg and 25 locks)

Fourth day of trip

On the Shropshire Union Canal (Birmingham and Liverpool Junction Canal) at Giffards Cross Bridge No 11

(21 miles, 1¼ flg and 3 locks)

Fifth day of trip

On the Staffordshire and Worcestershire Canal (Main Line: Autherley to Great Haywood) at Shutt Hill Bridge No 91

(17 miles, 0 flg and 11 locks)

Sixth day of trip

On the Trent and Mersey Canal (Main Line - Great Haywood to Etruria) at Stone Lock No 29

(18 miles, ¼ flg and 8 locks)

Seventh day of trip

On the Macclesfield Canal at Heritage Narrowboats

(16 miles, 7¾ flg and 13 locks)

This day's cruising may be affected by passage through Harecastle Tunnel. Passage through the tunnel is under BW control, and may involve a wait (in particular, if you arrive in the late afternoon or evening you may well have to wait until the next day).

Clockwise...

First day of trip

On the Trent and Mersey Canal (Main Line - Great Haywood to Etruria) at Stone Lock No 29

(16 miles, 7¾ flg and 12 locks)

This day's cruising may be affected by passage through Harecastle Tunnel. Passage through the tunnel is under BW control, and may involve a wait (in particular, if you arrive in the late afternoon or evening you may well have to wait until the next day).

Second day of trip

On the Staffordshire and Worcestershire Canal (Main Line: Autherley to Great Haywood) at Park Gate Bridge No 90

(18 miles, 5½ flg and 9 locks)

Third day of trip

On the Shropshire Union Canal (Birmingham and Liverpool Junction Canal) at Giffards Cross Bridge No 11

(16 miles, 2¾ flg and 11 locks)

Fourth day of trip

On the Shropshire Union Canal (Birmingham and Liverpool Junction Canal) at Tyrley Lock 2 No 4

(21 miles, 1¼ flg and 2 locks)

Fifth day of trip

On the Shropshire Union Canal (Birmingham and Liverpool Junction Canal) at Nantwich Aqueduct

(13 miles, 2¾ flg and 26 locks)

Sixth day of trip

On the Trent and Mersey Canal (Main Line - Harding's Wood to Middlewich) at Durose Bridge No 156

(18 miles, 5¼ flg and 9 locks)

Seventh day of trip

On the Macclesfield Canal at Heritage Narrowboats

(10 miles, 1¼ flg and 27 locks)

Please feel free to add all the good pubs in the gaps! I'm definately going to stop at the Bidge / Shroppie Fly Audlem, but can't say I'm familiar with this route

Thanks again guys

Allan

Thanks Mayalld and John

Decisions decisions eh?

I've got a 2.00 pickup from Heritage Narrowboats (so call that 3.00 away from base), and word is that I have to get through the tunnel before 4.00? Is this correct?

You have to be *at* Harecastle by 4pm for a guaranteed passage.

Canalplan makes it 1h19m to the tunnel. You will shave a few minutes off that as Hall Green Lock will not take 12 minutes.

I would suggest that if you pass the emergency stop gates on Red Bull Aqueduct by 3:45 you will make it.

You could always ring them at half past 3 and find out if you will get through.

You have to be *at* Harecastle by 4pm for a guaranteed passage.

Canalplan makes it 1h19m to the tunnel. You will shave a few minutes off that as Hall Green Lock will not take 12 minutes.

I don't know what makes these electronic guides think they are so smart, if I could not get from Heritage to the tunnel in under an hour I would do something drastic on the town hall steps. In my experience those leave times given by boatyards are always 'worst case' and they can always be persuaded to bring this forward a bit. Remember that 4.0 pm is worst case too.

Clockwise it is then!

It's always been my experience that the boats are ready before the time they say - so I'll get there early and try to get away from Heritage in plenty of time to do the tunnel

Any other suggestions of where to stop or avoid on the way round? Apart from giving the Plume of Feathers at Barlaston a miss that is...?

Thanks guys

Allan

Clockwise it is then!

Any other suggestions of where to stop or avoid on the way round? Apart from giving the Plume of Feathers at Barlaston a miss that is...?

I must admit it is some years since I called at the Plume of Feathers, it was a nice friendly pub at that time. The landlord was a very big chap with a healthy disregard for things like licensing laws and a healthy enthusiasm for his wares. "This pub shuts when I've had enough" he would proclaim.

My kind of pub !

Edited by John Orentas

I must admit it is some years since I called at the Plume of Feathers, it was a nice friendly pub at that time. The landlord was a very big chap with a healthy disregard for things like licensing laws and a healthy enthusiasm for his wares. "This pub shuts when I've had enough" he would proclaim.

My kind of pub !

Sadly it has been turned into a "plastic pub"

No character or atmosphere, bland poorly kept beers, indifferent and sullen staff, and overpriced inedible food.

Clockwise it is then!

It's always been my experience that the boats are ready before the time they say - so I'll get there early and try to get away from Heritage in plenty of time to do the tunnel

Thanks guys

Allan

That's assuming that the previous hirer hasn't bent the rudder or something Have a good trip!

Tony.

I've eaten a few times recently at the Plume of Feathers, and found the food to be exceptionally good.

Very pleasant watching the bowling too, and not a hint of a problem from kids.