The Maccy

RichardH

Featured Posts

We are heading up the Maccy to Bugsworth and back next week - any tips for moorings or eating/drinking places?

The WHAT?

Whilst the Shropshire Union may be called the Shroppie, the Macclesfield will stand no such corruption. If you wish to abbreviate, then "Macc" is sufficient

Puss in Boots at Macc does acceptable bar meals, but difficult to get close to edge.

Ring-o-Bells at Marple rumoured to have returned to its former high standards

Navigation at Bugsworth under new management. Food said to be good. New owner not a miserable bastard like the last one.

We are off up the Peak Forest to Bugsworth for the weekend.

Too many good pubs to mention but here is a few of those not often mentioned.

The Navigation in Marple is a good friendly pub, walk down the flight to lock 13 and look left.

One very good one that is often overlooked. The Sportsman, after bridge 21 on the Peak Forest, moor somewhere near the winding hole and follow the public footpath signs through the fields, down to the main road. Very good meals an views of the valley.

Whaley Bridge is not the place it was but still worth a couple of hours mooch round.

The jury is still out for the new landladies of the Navigation at Bugswoth though it has changed little. I liked the old landlord, only last year I was lurking around the bar waiting to buy another pint (it was about 12.30am). He eventually looked at me and exclaimed "Are you still here" I got my pint.

As for the Macc. just go by your guide book, all the country pubs are nice and Bollington is a good place for a pub crawl. I would avoid Congleton even though there is a tempting mooring at the Queens Head.

Close to Macclesfield, The Fools Nook has gone to the dogs, instead moor up on Gurnett Aqueduct and follow a short path down to the Old Kings Head.

Mooring: There are no particular restrictions on the Macc or Peak and never any vandalism. Moor anywhere and don't worry too much about blocking the channel if you leave 7 feet thats enough, similarly when passing oncoming boats, aim to miss them by no more than 2 feet or you will be on the bottom.

Edited by John Orentas

The jury is still out for the new landladies of the Navigation at Bugswoth though it has changed little. I liked the old landlord, only last year I was lurking around the bar waiting to buy another pint (it was about 12.30am). He eventually looked at me and exclaimed "Are you still here" I got my pint.

I can cope with quirky, but he was just plain abominably rude.

Last summer, we arrived at Bugsworth, and ventured in to try and book a table for 8 of us later that evening. "You can't book, you'll just have to come in and see if there's space"

So we arrived at 7:30, found a table, and went to order, to be greeted with "You could have f***ing booked, how am I supposed to run a f***ing kitchen if people don't f***ing book for big tables. I bet you're f***ing boaters aren't you. They should fill the f***ing thing in"

We left, as did 3 other parties of boaters, and I vowed never to return whilst it might put a brass farthing in his pocket.

Close to Macclesfield, The Fools Nook has gone to the dogs, instead moor up on Gurnett Aqueduct and follow a short path down to the Old Kings Head.

Agreed. The Fools Nook has had a posh refurb, and now charges absolute top whack prices for microwave meals. If I'm paying 8 quid for fish and chips, I want fresh fish in fresh batter cooked on the premises by a competent chef, not a frozen battered fish heated in the microwave.

We ate their on the day it re-opened. Or rather we took one bite, sent the "food" back and refused to pay.

I can cope with quirky, but he was just plain abominably rude.

So we arrived at 7:30, found a table, and went to order, to be greeted with "You could have f***ing booked, how am I supposed to run a f***ing kitchen if people don't f***ing book for big tables. I bet you're f***ing boaters aren't you. They should fill the f***ing thing in"

He was a character wasn't he, it would be a dull world without his kind. Believe it or not he was probably joking when he spoke to you like that.

Sounds like he should marry someone called Sybil and have a spanish waiter

If you add his manner to the quality of food at Fools Nook it would perfectly sum up our experience at the Romping Donkey at Hassall Green at Easter this year. The only saving grace was the beer was excellent.

Two comments about the Macclesfield and Peak Forrest canals. - Pretty and Shallow.

I had several meals and drinks in The Navigation at Bugsworth last year. The landlord was a bit odd, but then so are some of the regular customers (sorry John, couldn't resist that one), but never rude, you must have caught him on a bad day.

Now if you want a really rude Canalside pub landlord try the B........

He was a character wasn't he, it would be a dull world without his kind. Believe it or not he was probably joking when he spoke to you like that.

In the sense that he thought it a great laugh to be rude to people?

No, sorry, he was a deeply unpleasant individual, and I rejoice that the pub has changed hands.

If you add his manner to the quality of food at Fools Nook it would perfectly sum up our experience at the Romping Donkey at Hassall Green at Easter this year. The only saving grace was the beer was excellent.

Odd, I've always found the carvery at the Romping Donkey to be superb.

Thanks for the info on the Macca. I'm heading there when I get back from my holiday. Note to self: keep away from the edges!

Well away, I constantly ran aground within three feet of the edge, and unike other canals you cannot guarantee that there is any depth against Armcoat piling. I think they must have sold the dredger, either that or no one knows how to use it.

There is good moorng immediately south of Bridge 49 on the Macclesfield, and a decent pub with good food.

Well away, I constantly ran aground within three feet of the edge, and unike other canals you cannot guarantee that there is any depth against Armcoat piling. I think they must have sold the dredger, either that or no one knows how to use it.

There is good moorng immediately south of Bridge 49 on the Macclesfield, and a decent pub with good food.

It is dredged to pretty much original profile.

It was built with little depth at the edges for most of its length.

And Bridge 49 is Oakgrove Swing Bridge, home of the Fools Nook, which, since its refurb, has served only grossly overpriced reheated crap.

Edited by mayalld

A group of us walked in at 11.58 am and tried to order food. We were told "We don't do food untill 12." We walked back to the bar 2 minutes later and he took our order. There didn't seem to have been any sensible reason why he couldn't take our order 2 minutes before the official time!

And Bridge 49 is Oakgrove Swing Bridge, home of the Fools Nook, which, since its refurb, has served only grossly overpriced reheated crap.

Well I can only say that when we went in there, the Fish and Chips we had was very nice, and certainly tasted freshly cooked. I am not sure how you can re-heat battered Haddock without it going soggy.

Edited by David Schweizer

Let us not get obsessed with this depth business we all should carry a plank, just use that. You will miss a lot of nice places if you will only moor next to the bank and that goes for most canals in the country. Come to think about it I had more problems mooring on the Oxford last year than I ever have with the Peak & Macc.

Let us not get obsessed with this depth business we all should carry a plank, just use that. You will miss a lot of nice places if you will only moor next to the bank and that goes for most canals in the country. Come to think about it I had more problems mooring on the Oxford last year than I ever have with the Peak & Macc.

As I pointed out to you when we met at Bugsworth last year, it is not just a question of mooring, I dreaded meeting another boat in some sections on the Peak Forrest Canal as there wasn't sufficient depth in some places for us to pass. I am just glad that I didn't meet George on the diesel boat.

I would love to know how two full laden working boats passed each other if the bed profile and depth is still the same as it was when originaly built.

Edited by David Schweizer

Righty-ho. I need a new plank! I found this one in the hedge and one end has been chewed away by something big (or it's just gone rotten - guess that's why it was dumped in the hedge!). Still I've had a good year of walking that plank now - need to find another plank-bearing hedge.

I intended to mention Little Moreton Hall in my original post. This place is not simply another dusty old house, I am not really one for trudging around yet another stately home. This is a fabulous timber framed manor house that has not been over restored during the 400 years it has been standing, it even has a moat. Bridge 86 a pleasent walk across the fields, just follow the signs, there is now a nice purpose built mooring there.

Please say a little prayer as you pass what was the Bird in Hand the best pub on the system and perhaps a little curse on BW who stood by whilst it was improved into two tatty little houses. North of bridge 89, you can still just make out the name of the pub on the gable end.

Edited by John Orentas

I intended to mention Little Moreton Hall in my original post. This place is not simply another dusty old house, I am not really one for trudging around yet another stately home. This is a fabulous timber framed manor house that has not been over restored during the 400 years it has been standing, it even has a moat. Bridge 86 a pleasent walk across the fields, just follow the signs, there is now a nice purpose built mooring there.

Please say a little prayer as you pass what was the Bird in Hand the best pub on the system and perhaps a little curse on BW who stood by whilst it was improved into two tatty little houses. North of bridge 89, you can still just make out the name of the pub on the gable end.

Hi, we moored there a couple of days ago, good moorings. The info is on our blog - watch out for the herd of cows with calves! We heard afterwards that the farmer is deliberately letting his cows block the path if they so wish - and is at odds with the National Trust providing access points from the canal. The hall is open Wed to Sun during the afternoon, and open daily from 23rd June for the summer season. We will be visiting ourselves in a few weeks, it is well worth trek across the fields.

Linty and Alex - Minimoman

Hi, we moored there a couple of days ago, good moorings. The info is on our blog - watch out for the herd of cows with calves! We heard afterwards that the farmer is deliberately letting his cows block the path if they so wish - and is at odds with the National Trust providing access points from the canal. The hall is open Wed to Sun during the afternoon, and open daily from 23rd June for the summer season. We will be visiting ourselves in a few weeks, it is well worth trek across the fields.

Linty and Alex - Minimoman

Yes, this has been going on for donkey's years but I thought it had all been resolved, at least now there is a clearly defined footpath. The arrogance of some of these landowners is amazing, even when they are shown maps and documentation dating back 400 years they still insist that they have right to close the right of way. Much the same attitude prevails in the area where I live, blocking lanes and ancient footpaths because they have lived nearby for 20 years therefore own everything.

Bloody farmers, and they don't even have to farm anymore but they get a monthly cheque for being custodians of the countryside.

Edited by John Orentas

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all your tips. Had a lovely if rather chilly week on the Macc. Managed to do Bugsworth and Whaley also.

We called at the Fools Nook, mainly because we were cold and starving after doing Bosley but they stopped serving at 2:30 on Sundays. This possibly did us a favour as we enjoyed one of the best pub meals in a long long time at the Old Kings Head near the Aquaduct - really friendly staff too.

The Navigation at Bugsworth was good also. The new tenants were really friendly and the beer good.

Didn't spot Mr Jinks but saw Squeers at Furness Vale.