Hope for 'City of Adelaide'

carlt

Featured Posts

OK so where are the great sail training ships then? Where are all of the schemes to train people? Where do I sign up to sail Gipsy Moth? There are none.

I said that it is better to spend the money on training people and building new ships than regurgitating old crap.

And I said it isn't. To say that some of the finest sailing vessels ever built are 'old crap' is pure ignorance. If Cutty Sark, C of A or any of the other big projects awaiting funding are restored then your dream of lots of little Duke of Edinburgh kiddywinkles running up and down the rigging in their stripey t-shirts can be realised. As it is a young enthusiastic boater can get himself a boat and basic training for less than a grand. Sailing tall ships isn't the only route to boating and saltwater boating isn't becoming inaccessible to young people, like it is inland.

You can get on a sailing course through the RYA btw.

Yes I think it is a pity that the UK no longer use sail training ships, as Yoda says Russia and notably Poland have retained that tradition.. It is a great way to do basic training and what a spectacle they make, it's a bit silly getting sentimental about old ships though to my mind a new one is at least as valuable as an old one it they are built to the same design.

To say that some of the finest sailing vessels ever built are 'old crap' is pure ignorance.

I disagree. We've built some crap in all spheres of development over the years. Many would say Mk 1 Cavaliers and 1960s Land Rovers were old crap..... I for one don't disagree with that statement but wouldn't for a minute suggest that old crap or not, they shouldn't be preserved. Its all part of our wonderful heritage. Long may it survive.

Basic training in what John?

Sail Training ships were great for a small number of people and there are a lot of existing boats that could be used for this, for a lot less outlay than building a new ship.

And if there's no point saving and restoring our heritaqe then why don't we go the whole hog and pull down all the listed buildings that need some restoration. Lets close all the museums and convert them into luxury apartments at least they'd have some use then eh?

England is a seafaring nation and although there appears to be no demand, there are no ships available to train youngsters. The truth is that given the chance, many people would love to take part in ocean sailing.

I'm afraid the notion that this country is a seafaring nation has been out of date for a number of years, and therefore the need for suitable sail training vessels has also declined. There are still opportunities for those who wish to take part in ocean sailing but the demand for the larger vessels is just not there, more's the pity.

Howard Anguish

I think you may have missed my point Carl, both Russia and Poland build tall ships specifically as train training vessels for their navies, there are some huge ones, some old, some new, some timber, some steel.

I certainly did not say that there is no point in saving and restoring heritage although I would say that ships don't take kindly to sitting in museums, the point I was trying to make was that a true replica C of A would have at least an equal value to the old one, as a bonus we would then have a new build capability and of course it would be seaworthy.

I would far rather we had a brand new Cutty Sark sailing the seas of the world than maintaining that sad specimen sitting in a dry dock in Greenwich.

I think you may have missed my point Carl, both Russia and Poland build tall ships specifically as train training vessels for their navies, there are some huge ones, some old, some new, some timber, some steel.

I certainly did not say that there is no point in saving and restoring heritage although I would say that ships don't take kindly to sitting in museums, the point I was trying to make was that a true replica C of A would have at least an equal value to the old one, as a bonus we would then have a new build capability and of course it would be seaworthy.

I would far rather we had a brand new Cutty Sark sailing the seas of the world than maintaining that sad specimen sitting in a dry dock in Greenwich.

I don't disagree about Cutty Sark, John, it was too far gone before the fire and, now the ironwork is distorted any 'restoration' would amount to a new-build; and £25 million should be plenty to build an ocean going replica, rather than the static facsimile proposed.

We do have new build capability btw, just not the incentive, or funding, to utilise it.

Of course, if it's about saving money, then we could always order a couple of new boats from eastern europe, if there were the demand, and use the money saved to restore our heritage fleet.

Yes yes yes!! This is the point that I was trying to make however badly.

We have an opportunity to spend the restoration money more wisely so lets build real ships not more museums. Let us employ people and train them to build these new boats rather than order them from Poland or Russia. Stand on our own two feet and make things happen. Let us not leave things to others and make it a problem, let us have pride in our achivements.

One of those achivements would be the not wasting of restoration money. How many old boats line our river banks and quays? Too many. I dont mean that they should all be got rid of but why add more when you could have the real thing.

What a great opportunity to employ young people and train them.

Of course, if it's about saving money, then we could always order a couple of new boats from eastern europe, if there were the demand, and use the money saved to restore our heritage fleet.

I have a claim to fame

I used to know a chap who knew the chap that owned that ship that was in the Hornblower series, I was told that he got enough money to supply the vessel for series it paid for the brand new build.. He had it built in Turkey, the clever thing about it was that it played the part of two ships.. It was painted all blue on one side and brown on the other, the TV people were so ingenious that all kinds of shot could be incorporated by mirror imaging at the editing stage, the cast were even issued with 'reverse costumes'.

Edited by John Orentas