Gas free boat and electric heating (questions)

AjaxKM

Featured Posts

I often wonder that about people.

It seems to be the latest fad, and will pass.

Certainly use of gas for water heating and refrigeration has all but gone, because there are good alternatives.

There just isn't a really good alternative to gas cooking.

Many of the dangers from gas systems related to leaky joints. With a single appliance, the risk is much reduced.

I agree totally with the "fad" sentiment , seems to me another case of too much knowledge and a few scary incidents keeping the chandleries in business .... personally i have fitted a bubble valve to my last 3 boats and a couple of daily checks confirms gas tightness ... this along with one or more 12volt or battery operated CO2 detectors situated close to any potentially hazardous appliances should be enough to ensure anyones safety without the need to replace perfectly functioning equipment. As for the running fuels of the appliances they all have a potential to cause harm if not treated with due respect..... whether it be gas, petrol, coal or even a build up of extremely explosive hydrogen gas from a heavily charged bank of batteries...

Don't get me wrong , i think the B.S.S. is a wonderful thing especially and i dont mean this in a patronising way for less experienced boaters who do not have an appreciation of the dangers along with the "i know better" brigade...

In my opinion you can go gas free or whatever but nothing will replace common sense!

We want to go gas free because :-

A)my wife dislocated her knee a couple of years ago so she cant hump gas bottles around I cant either after breaking my back playing rugby fully mobile but dont want to risk it really

B)It kind of seems a big waste of space to have gas storage that I can use for other kit

C)£18 per bottle works out as pricey in a very short time we used 3 bottles heating and using hot water on our hire boat last time we were out

D)there seems like some very viable alternitives

We want to go gas free because :-

A)my wife dislocated her knee a couple of years ago so she cant hump gas bottles around I cant either after breaking my back playing rugby fully mobile but dont want to risk it really

OK, that might be a reasonable one (although 6kg bottles would be an option)

B)It kind of seems a big waste of space to have gas storage that I can use for other kit

Possibly, but I suspect that you will just end up with junk in there!

C)£18 per bottle works out as pricey in a very short time we used 3 bottles heating and using hot water on our hire boat last time we were out

How many bottles?!?!

I wouldn't suggest that you use gas for heating or hot water, just for cooking, and you won't use much gas for cooking.

D)there seems like some very viable alternitives

For heating and hot water, yes there are

Hot water - big calorifier should suffice

Heating - various diesel systems that will do the job

Cooking - not really

There seems to be a fad that having got down to only one application for gas on board, we should eliminate it. Come the day when there is a viable alternative for cooking - yes. Until then - no.

I have a gas free boat now. I use a woodburner for winter heating and cooking and an Origo for summer cooking.

I have to say I really like my Origo. It works well and doesn't cost much to run. The meths lives in what used to be my gas locker.

There's also a version which can use meths when you're out, and mains when you're on the mooring or have the generator running.

I have a gas free boat now. I use a woodburner for winter heating and cooking and an Origo for summer cooking.

I have to say I really like my Origo. It works well and doesn't cost much to run. The meths lives in what used to be my gas locker.

There's also a version which can use meths when you're out, and mains when you're on the mooring or have the generator running.

:cheers: ... as long as you don't partake of the meths, Mr D.S. .................... :captain:;)