HUGH MALET - VOYAGE IN A BOWLER HAT

FearPictiur

Featured Posts

Hello

I was wondering if you ever read this book.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Voyage-Bowler-Hat-Hugh-Malet/dp/094771202X

Its voyage in a bowler hat by hugh mallet.

Its a great read and very enjoyable. It was a great feat to travel Ireland and England on a small boat.

My quest is really to find out what happened to his boat, The Mary anne. A dory with a converted cabin

The canal museum has certain artefacts but maintains that the boat is gone..........

anybody have any info , that would be great. he died in 2005 or there abouts.

thanks

Ciaran.

At first glance I read the title as Huge Mallet Voyage In A Bowler Hat

I wondered if Timmy had put a bit of weight on and bought a boat

Edited by Barry

• 3 weeks later...

Still available through Amazon, a used copy (paperback) will cost you 1 new penny, plus £2.80 p&p.

Just finished my recently purchased copy and enjoyed it immensely. His ventures in Eire seemed almost foolhardy, but the little boat with its Austin seven engine (and outboard) survived as did he, and indeed was resurrected from its resting place in Waterford for another trip written about in "The Wake of the Gods", one I have not read (as yet).

A few details I had not previously known sprang from the text; That the first railway locomotive to run on rails through Berkhamsted, was the 'Harvey Combe', a loco that was transported to Bourne End (Herts.) by boat and assembled there; the little footbridge across the Buckby flight carried the Icknield Way; and another possible source of castle decoration being inspired by Ballycowan Castle in Eire. It was mooted that such a castle might have been depicted on tea towels brought over by Irish Navvies, who later may have become boaters. A hopeful idea more than factual?

A good read.