Cookies

Featured Posts

Because there's more opportunity to intercept a session ID - it must be transmitted every time the user browses to a different webpage. A cookie involves a once-only (ie when logging in) transmission of the session ID.

OK, so not dangerous in the sense of hacking?

OK, so not dangerous in the sense of hacking?

I don't know what you mean by dangerous, or hacking. They are vague terms which could be applied to many interpretations of computer use, or misuse.

For example, if you visit an internet forum and someone can impersonate you and log in as you, please can you explain if there's actually any danger there? Its clearly hacking, if you define that as misusing a computer system to gain improper/illegal access to something - but the "something" is valueless and benign in a safety sense.

I don't know what you mean by dangerous, or hacking. They are vague terms which could be applied to many interpretations of computer use, or misuse.

For example, if you visit an internet forum and someone can impersonate you and log in as you, please can you explain if there's actually any danger there? Its clearly hacking, if you define that as misusing a computer system to gain improper/illegal access to something - but the "something" is valueless and benign in a safety sense.

I consider any form of hacking dangerous.

I consider any form of hacking dangerous.

In the context of cookies vs session ID (which is the only other way of personalising a website interaction which avoids cookies), and your definition of dangerous, cookies are less dangerous than the alternatives.

In the context of cookies vs session ID (which is the only other way of personalising a website interaction which avoids cookies), and your definition of dangerous, cookies are less dangerous than the alternatives.

Cheers

:)

Yes me too. My sister fell off her horse and twisted her ankle whilst out hacking, many years ago.

No handlebars, you see.

Gosh

:)