What is a chain keeper?

HELENAWOJTCZAK

Featured Posts

But we shall go on arguing about etymology ad nauseum nonetheless :-)

I suggest to Bruce that the textile tenting/tenterhooks has a separate root from tenting as in tending, which is not covered at all in the definition quoted. The (incidental) mill town connection has confused the issue.

But we shall go on arguing about etymology ad nauseum nonetheless :-)

I suggest to Bruce that the textile tenting/tenterhooks has a separate root from tenting as in tending, which is not covered at all in the definition quoted. The (incidental) mill town connection has confused the issue.

Good point, could well be true.

(snipped)

That's the answer, then! He looked after the water, though I don't know why it needed any "looking after". What exactly does looking after water entail? I am just being curious now, I don't need to know this for my book :-)

Helena

Looking after water on canals and rivers is a vital job in ensuring levels are controlled to prevent either floods or shortages during drought. The lock keepers as were on the canals, and still on many rivers control their weirs as well as opening and closing gates for passage of craft. This has always been the case since navigation of inland waters began.