Defra stikes back at British Waterways?

Bobphilips

Featured Posts

Just seen the latest issue of Towpath Talk and the cover story focuses on the Barry Gardiner's evidence to the EFRA sub committee which seems to say that BW financial plan is to blame for their budget cut?

Seems a little harsh at first sight... what have other people heard?

Is it mentioned in any other publications Ratty (oops sorry Bob)?

Hi Carl,

At the minute I haven't seen any other publication. I am guessing that Waterways World will carry a piece, I hope.

:rolleyes: Good man on deducing the Ratty / Bob identities. On the Towpath forum I am known as Ratty (favourite children's character - reminds me of how the waterways should be used - for fun and leisure) and here I am plain old Bob :lol: .

Have you heard anything about this seeming war of words?

Cheers,

Bob (aka Ratty) Must add that to my signature ... could be AKA the Notorious Mr. Ratty... or some such

Have you heard anything about this seeming war of words?

Not yet. Just what I'm readin in TT at the moment. Doesn't surprise me one bit though. Waterways incompetence and poor financial management isn't really news. They spend far more on maintaining the waterways than is spent on maintaining the highways (per mile) and still can't do a good job. Maybe they should stop employing people in shiny suits working in shiny offices and spend some money on competent civil engineers.

At the minute I haven't seen any other publication. I am guessing that Waterways World will carry a piece, I hope.

But of course. :lol: We were rather hoping the magazine would come back from the printers today, but it looks like it'll be tomorrow. Should hopefully be in many chandleries at the weekend, anyway.

You can read the transcript of Barry Gardiner's "evidence" on the EFRA Committee website. It's quite breathtaking.

I attended the final session of the committee on Tuesday, when BW (Robin Evans, Tony Hales, Jim Stirling) were invited to answer back. In the politest possible way, they pointed out that their ultimate boss had got a whole load wrong.

I tend to err on the sceptical about BW's current management, as is fairly well known, but on this occasion I'm much more inclined to believe them than Barry Gardiner. Some of the mistakes he made are so glaringly obvious I'm amazed he could read them out with a straight face.

But of course. :lol: We were rather hoping the magazine would come back from the printers today, but it looks like it'll be tomorrow. Should hopefully be in many chandleries at the weekend, anyway.

You can read the transcript of Barry Gardiner's "evidence" on the EFRA Committee website. It's quite breathtaking.

I attended the final session of the committee on Tuesday, when BW (Robin Evans, Tony Hales, Jim Stirling) were invited to answer back. In the politest possible way, they pointed out that their ultimate boss had got a whole load wrong.

Can't wait for the BW installment!

Any chance of BG getting the chop for telling porkies to the committee.

Any chance of BG getting the chop for telling porkies to the committee.

Yes, often in these circumstances someone would have to go. A Minister shouldn't make allegations of mismanagement at an executive agency without holding someone accountable for it - and if he's proved wrong, as you say, that's a very serious strike against his judgement.

But it's pretty irrelevant given that there'll likely be a very major reshuffle on 28th June. Expect a new Waterways Minister then.

Yes, often in these circumstances someone would have to go. A Minister shouldn't make allegations of mismanagement at an executive agency without holding someone accountable for it - and if he's proved wrong, as you say, that's a very serious strike against his judgement.

But it's pretty irrelevant given that there'll likely be a very major reshuffle on 28th June. Expect a new Waterways Minister then.

Are you thinking of Blair's leaving date? It'll only be re-shuffled so soon if Brown takes No10 un-apposed, otherwise it'll be about a seven week limbo until the voting has been settled. Unless, of course, the Queen is pursuaded to disolve parliament and call a general election...

Just seen the latest issue of Towpath Talk and the cover story focuses on the Barry Gardiner's evidence to the EFRA sub committee which seems to say that BW financial plan is to blame for their budget cut?

Saw an interesting snippet Telegraph t'other day - BW apparently cutting pumpout prices - going down to a tenner it seems :lol:

Allan

Unless, of course, the Queen is pursuaded to disolve parliament and call a general election...

I think that she is much too wise to fall into that trap. Can you imagine the uproar and consitutional crisis that would follow? It would prove the line that Tony Benn has been hammering on about for years that the constitution needed changing.

Odd really how this idea is around that because Blair steps down that there should be a general election. Particularly since he made his intentions clear before the last one. It never seemed to be an issue when Conservative governments changed PM mid term. Odd that............

We don't after all elect Prime Ministers under our consitution but rather our local MPs. And they still have their majorities until the next election. Blair going doesn't alter that.

One can only hope that this one finds himself consigned to the back benches until such time as he is consigned to the dole queue by the electorate.