Stern Type - The Good, Bad and The Ugly

WrightCharlie

Featured Posts

My sincere thanks to everyone for their comments, I still have no idea which stern type I'd choose, everything else being equal and, if pushed to answer right now, I'd go for a semi-trad. Semis sound like they've got some of the best of the cruiser and trad worlds without any glaring negatives. Anyway, as some of you suggest, the stern type doesn't need to be the highest priority consideration and the boat will choose me anyway.

So, thanks again, you've all given me some great food-for-thought............and along the way I learnt about a little about defensive boating and weed hatches too!

So how did you get on, on that occasion? I wouldn't fancy wrestling blind with chunks of cratch cover in the vicinity of a bleedin' great sharp edge!

The sharp blade is about 2 inches behind the prop, so between hull and prop. You soon learn not to put your hands there.

The main problem in getting the cratch cover off the prop, was actually getting a good grip on it, as it was covered in slime!

Once I had pulled enough through the weedhatch for me and the wife to get a grip on it, it pulled through relatively easily. Took about 20 minutes to get going again.

Edited so that only the relevant parts of the quote show.

Edited by cuthound

I used to find my cruiser stern a bit big and cold until this summer when my husband brought a chair over and sat there with a can of beer and his feet up whilst I did the steering. There was also enough space for a small fold up table so I had lunch prepared and served to me. My views have now changed, I may need to buy a cover when I can afford it for bad weather cruising but I wouldn't swap the space for anything now. It was one of the best cruises we have ever done.

I used to find my cruiser stern a bit big and cold until this summer when my husband brought a chair over and sat there with a can of beer and his feet up whilst I did the steering. There was also enough space for a small fold up table so I had lunch prepared and served to me. My views have now changed, I may need to buy a cover when I can afford it for bad weather cruising but I wouldn't swap the space for anything now. It was one of the best cruises we have ever done.

Thanks very much Trillian, more food for thought smile.png