Invited Into The Norwood Tunnel - 100+ Year First!

cheshire~rose

Featured Posts

Exciting times on The Chesterfield Canal this week:

Local people invited to explore collapsed canal tunnel for the first time in a century

23rd August 2016

Canal & River Trust Press Release

Local people are for the first time being given the opportunity to venture underground and explore a 240 year old canal tunnel which has been abandoned since it collapsed over a century ago.

TUN10.JPG

Engineers from the Canal & River Trust, the charity that cares for 2,000 miles of waterways in England & Wales, are set to carry out a ten yearly inspection at Norwood Tunnel near Kiveton and, for the first time, are inviting a limited number of people into the tunnel to see it for themselves.

At 2.6km long Norwood Tunnel was the longest canal tunnel in Britain when it was officially opened in May 1775. However subsidence from nearby mining works led to sections of the tunnel sinking and, despite efforts to raise the roof, it finally collapsed completely after heavy rain in October 1907

The collapse effectively cut the Chesterfield Canal into two sections and trade on the Western section of the canal ceased between 1914 and 1918, but continued between Kiveton Park and West Stockwith until 1955.

Today the eastern portal of the tunnel is bricked up for safety reasons and so, before the inspection can take place, the engineers will have to break through the brick wall.

Once through they will use a small dinghy to inspect the 475m stretch between the eastern portal and the collapsed section. The engineers will be looking for signs of cracks and leaks and to assess the overall condition of the tunnel.

As part of the project the Trust is taking the opportunity to give a small number of guests, including volunteers from the Chesterfield Canal Trust, the chance to venture into the tunnel to see for themselves.

Seán McGinley, waterway manager for the Canal & River Trust said; “This is a really exciting opportunity and it’s like opening up a giant brick time-capsule.

“It’s going to be fascinating to get in there for the first time in a decade and see how the tunnel’s looking. It will be particularly special for local volunteers from the Chesterfield Canal Trust who have been working for years on plans to restore the canal and link the two sections either side of Norwood.

“We think giving them the opportunity to explore is a fitting reward for all their dedication and hard work over the years but it will also hopefully create some wider interest and inspire more people to get involved and support the restoration of the Chesterfield Canal.”

One of the nation’s most celebrated engineers James Brindley was working on the tunnel at the time of his death in 1772 with the project then passed to John Varley and latterly Hugh Henshall. At just 3m wide the tunnel doesn’t have a towpath and so boats would have been propelled through by legging, where boatmen would lay on the roof of the boat and walk along the tunnel’s ceiling.

Robin Stonebridge, chair of Chesterfield Canal Trust said; “The Norwood was without doubt one of Brindley’s gems, and we would like to see it used as part of the canal restoration. The tunnel has been considered for many years as the one obstacle to further restoration of the Chesterfield Canal. We view this as a great chance to see what state this part of the tunnel is in, and work with the Canal & River Trust on how we can get the canal up into Kiveton Waters.”

Many more photos of the tunnel can be seen on the original article that can be viewed here:

http://www.chesterfield-canal-trust.org.uk/index.php/latest-news/press-releases/741-local-people-invited-to-explore-collapsed-canal-tunnel-for-the-first-time-in-a-century

I don't think it will be too long before we have a new head of navigation on that section ;)

Thanks Laurence.

Hopefully there are sufficient influential people taking trips in there on that wobbly little boat that it can be opened up permanently before too long and you can get in there too Billybob!

Chesterfield Canal Trust have been focusing on the potential the tunnel holds for some considerable time and with a Work Party who are tying up loose ends on the Staveley Town Lock part of the restoration project there has been some pondering on wheer best to direct the vast amount of motivation and momentum the volunteers have. We knew the 10 yearly inspection was due this year have worked with CRT to allow some of the "movers and shakers" to visit the site along with local historians in the hope that those involved can work together and get it open.

What we were not counting upon was that the HS2 blight that had effectively prevented CCT from continuing with the work up at Staveley would promptly follow us to Norwood as they outlined in the announcment on 7th July this year:

http://www.chesterfield-canal-trust.org.uk/index.php/latest-news/general-news/732-hs2-new-route-proposal-good-news-and-bad-news

I love this the number of times i would love to go into shut closed off tunnels. I would love to see in the bridgewater tunnels and the shut one near dudley

Me too - despite having a bit of claustrophobia. The excitement beats the fear.

Lappal tunnel calls ............

I love the fact that in the pics there is still a few old boats in there! Imagin whats in some of the other tunnels.

Imagin the inclines and levels there must be and some of the boats! And the structures

I love this the number of times i would love to go into shut closed off tunnels. I would love to see in the bridgewater tunnels and the shut one near Dudley

Many years ago a gentleman (may have been Dr Ian Langford) gave a talk to the BCNS about the Dudley levels, he had a slide show too which showed the inclines and equipment left in the levels, all now inaccessible as far as I know.

Many years ago a gentleman (may have been Dr Ian Langford) gave a talk to the BCNS about the Dudley levels, he had a slide show too which showed the inclines and equipment left in the levels, all now inaccessible as far as I know.

All needs draining so i can photo them!

Shame as its history youll never get to see and i bet a £5 that most people dont know they even excist.

Edited by billybobbooth