Television reception not good

Featured Posts

I have just installed a small 17" television, and find the reception to be nil, not a sausage.

I have used a Maxview Omnimax touring aerial complete with the little tuning box for strong/weak signals.

All the connections are right, and its operating off of a 230 volt supply, not an inverter.

The boat is sitting under some willow trees, would this effect the signal, or am I doing something wrong.

The Omnimax is an omni-directional aerial designed for caravans.

Narrowboats are very low down and there are a few hills around you - reception isnt fantastic there.

Have you got the aerial on a mast or on the coachroof ??

Have you tested the TV at home to prove its the aerial thats at fault ??

Ask around about aerial results with the other boats in the millstream or the vans on the field.

Some will have that same aerial and the strongest signal is probably coming from the South (London), so the trees

shouldn't be a problem.

Its probably to do with antenna height..

Have you considered a Maplin suitcase satellite dish for under £60, for use when on the mooring ?

Are you using a digital tuner? Digital reception tends to be all or nothing. However an analogue tuner should receive at least something when you scan the channels. Have you tried it anywhere else?

Valid point Dor.

Workhorse, another thing to try is to buy (a few quid at Maplins) or borrow, one of those internal directional TV aerials, connect it to your TV and then sit/stand on the coachroof and experiment. If you get some sort of result, then the Omnimax is suspect.

I'm surprised that you get nothing at all, although I don't know your area so it is possible that there is no signal there.

Have you got access to a multimeter? If so, you can check out each of your aerial cables quite easily (disconnected from the TV and the amplifier); check between the inner pin and the outer sleeve, you should get no continuity. Then stuff some silver paper down the plug at the other end and this time you should see continuity. If you haven't got access to a test meter you can use a battery and bulb instead (sometimes, with a little ingenuity, while they are both still inside a torch).

The amplifier is probably more suspect than the aerial. Is the amplifier working properly' does it have a pilot light showing that it's on, and are you sure you've got the aerial plugged into its input and the TV plugged into its output (I know that sounds a bit obvious, but my first job was as a TV engineer and yet I still get that wrong sometimes). And if it has a control on the front, is it set for maximum gain (usually 10 turns clockwise)? Can you try it without the amplifier - plugging the cable straight into the TV instead of into ithe amp?

So much information. The amplifier is not showing any light, so that could be the problem. I did connect the aerial direct to the set, and on search, got one very fuzzy picture with sound. AS far as connecting to the amp. yes, the connections are correct.

You should get a red light on the amplifier box that has the local/distant amplification switch on it.

This unit works from 12VDC - there is also an on/off slider switch underneath next to the coaxial sockets - make sure it is slid into the on position !

So much information. The amplifier is not showing any light, so that could be the problem. I did connect the aerial direct to the set, and on search, got one very fuzzy picture with sound. AS far as connecting to the amp. yes, the connections are correct.
Edited by NB Willawaw

Switch, I didn't know their was a switch. It wouldn't have been so bad if they had given any instructions. By the way, the unit I'm using is either 12 volt or 230 volt. Got it from Camping and General. Looks the same as that which Omniview supplied.

What a bummer - might just be that switch !!

I dont even think the switch is labelled - its just a white plastic slider switch.

PS they do a 12/24VDC version and another DC and 230VAC version - you obviously have the latter.

Edited by NB Willawaw

I'll have a look on Thursday. Hope that's the problem. Out of interest, can I use a Suitcase dish kit. I would imagine it would offer a better reception, especially during our journey.

I was under the impression that all satellite systems were on a fee basis, like Sky etc.

You can use one and they are free to use. The only drawback is that you can't receive Ch4 or 5, but you have lots of other channels to choose from.

If you want to get one, try Maplins at Lakeside or Harlow - I'll show you how to set it up if you want.

They don't like it when the boat gets rocked though.

I'll have a look on Thursday. Hope that's the problem. Out of interest, can I use a Suitcase dish kit. I would imagine it would offer a better reception, especially during our journey.

I was under the impression that all satellite systems were on a fee basis, like Sky etc.

Hi James

If you don't want to go the satellite route you could try using a Tony Brooks method. B&Q do an extending aluminium pole, it's designed to allow you to wash outside second floor windows in a house, cost about £15.00. Attach a normal aerial to it extend and clamp to roof, connect to TV and rotate to obtain signal. Tried this at Easter and it worked a treat. We have the same aerial and amplifier set-up that you have and I've never been able to obtain a good signal. Found the same thing when hiring, a lot of hire boats have that set-up and they didn't seem to work either. I'm going to try adding a freeview box when I have a spare minute. Hope you find a method which works for you.

Ken