Tewkesbury to Worcester travelling times?

captain caveman

Featured Posts

Ive used the canal planer in the past but don't find it that accurate time wise. How far up the Severn are the locks maned? Never been up North of Tewkesbury before its is all new to me.

One last question are there and B,W showers on the is route or up past Worcester.

Thanks

Ive used the canal planer in the past but don't find it that accurate time wise. How far up the Severn are the locks maned? Never been up North of Tewkesbury before its is all new to me.

One last question are there and B,W showers on the is route or up past Worcester.

Thanks

All the Severn locks are manned. There is only lock one between the confluence of the Severn and Avon and the junction of the Severn and the Worcester & Birmingham Canal. That's at Diglis in Worcester only a few hundred yards downstream of the junction.

As for time, this being a cruise upstream on a major river it all depends on the flow of the river and the capabilities of the boat so CanalPlan will never be wholly accurate. It's hours - somewhere from half a day to a full day's cruising.

The two locks off the Severn on to the canal at Diglis (Worcester) are manually operated by the boater and the gates are about as big as canal lock gates get. There is plenty of mooring above the second lock and some just above the third lock but after that it's best to head well out of town.

Can't help you regarding knowledge of showers.

JP

ETA - dunno why I assumed you were heading off the river at Worcester!

Edited by Captain Pegg

The plan is to leave Pershore around 9am and moor up for the night at Worcester then the reverse the day after, If this is possible time wise.

No.

Your are unlikely to do this in one day unless your boat is fast or you start well before 9am.

Pershore to Tewkesbury is about 14 miles and three locks (if you start from above Pershore lock). You may have to queue for the the locks at busy times, especially at Strensham.This trip normally takes me about 5 hours.

Tewkesbury to Worcester takes me another 5 hours or so on average, depending on current, time to get through locks, etc.

Diglis Lock closes at 7pm at this time of year:

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/refresh/media/original/27339-new-river-severn-navigation-guide-april-2016.pdf

Canalplan suggest it's about 11 hours, which is near enough for practical purposes.

Edited by PaulG

Ive used the canal planer in the past but don't find it that accurate time wise.

Maybe not for the Severn (?) but I find it very good for canal times, and you can tweak the settings if you wish.

Daniel