Shower and basin waste pipes

Featured Posts

We are about to set up the shower stuff and are wondering whether it is best to drill 2 separate holes for shower and bathroom basin or to connect the waste pipes somehow in order to do with 1 hole. 2 holes seem a drag, but connecting the wastes seems equally so.

moisha

why is it a drag to connect all the wastes?

my shower, kitchen sink and bathroom basin all lead to the shower pump box, using 32mm pushfit domestic drain fittings (swept tees and similar connectors) from where they are pumped out through one outlet. the shower drain reduces from 40mm to 32mm using a flexible connector which has 32mm and 40mm options at each end.

the washing machine has its own outlet.

the only problem I have is how to go from 32mm domestic pushfit to a 1.5inch or 1inch hose nozzle. Any ideas?

the only problem I have is how to go from 32mm domestic pushfit to a 1.5inch or 1inch hose nozzle. Any ideas?

If you can't find a more direct way, you should be able to get a 32mm to iron (BSP) connecter, and then a hose barb with bsp thread.

Tim

We've gone for the one-hole approach.

All the sinks (kitchen, backcabin, bathroom) gravity feed into there own outlet for simplicy and redundency (the idea of relying on a single sump pump isnt my cup of tea)

- However the bath does flow out of the same outlet as the bathroom sink for neatness and reduction of holes though the hull.

- We have a minor problem with bath water runing back into the sink when the pumps runing flat out though the hull fitting.

However that could be corrected with a greater fall from the sink, a larger outlet skin fitting, or a HepVo one-way drain valve. (like the one we bought last year, and still havnt fitted)

Daniel

my shower, kitchen sink and bathroom basin all lead to the shower pump box, using 32mm pushfit domestic drain fittings (swept tees and similar connectors) from where they are pumped out through one outlet. the shower drain reduces from 40mm to 32mm using a flexible connector which has 32mm and 40mm options at each end.

the washing machine has its own outlet.

Visit somebody who sells fittings for Koi ponds. A good one has every fitting imaginable.

It might depend on how you intend to drain the waste water. My shower is drained with a whale gulper and my bathroom sink by gravity so I have 2 separate holes & skin fittings. I suppose I could have connected the sink waste to the shower waste after the gulper which has its own non-return valve and then the sink would have still been gravity drained (I certainly didn't want to have to switch the gulper on to drain the sink). But the sink & shower are on opposite sides of quite a big bathroom & when using gravity the height of the drain hole in the hull is much more critical than if using a pump. I was also concerned that the gulper might send dirty shower water back up the sink waste and into the sink and a non-return valve on a gravity drained waste would slow the draining too much. Anyway, personally I just found it easier to drill two outlets - it's not difficult.

Edited by blackrose

I think you answered your own question Chris.

Edited by blackrose

I think you answered your own question Chris.

Not really. The problem arises only because I'm trying to go from a 40mm domestic shower/bath outlet to the imperial hose sized spigot/s on the shower pump box. Nothing to do with having teed-in connections from elsewhere.

Not really. The problem arises only because I'm trying to go from a 40mm domestic shower/bath outlet to the imperial hose sized spigot/s on the shower pump box. Nothing to do with having teed-in connections from elsewhere.

If it's not too late how about changing the bath outlet to one from a chandlery with a 19mm hose spigot outlet? I bought a low profile one for my shower which allows installation in the low bilge space under the shower tray and is connected directly to the pump.

If it's not too late how about changing the bath outlet to one from a chandlery with a 19mm hose spigot outlet? I bought a low profile one for my shower which allows installation in the low bilge space under the shower tray and is connected directly to the pump.

much much too late ..................